Believe it or not? Fact or fiction?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Poor spiders are getting a right hard time here :rolleyes:
They play a great role in nature and i think they are pretty cool, that and anything that eats flies, midges, mozzies is ok in my book:D
None of our spiders over here will cause anyone any harm so let em be. The minute you move one out of the house another will take its place so learn to live in harmony lol. I think they are pretty funny to watch running across the floor.... that is until the dog see`s one :eek:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I dont mind them either but Im not fond of people who inflict them upon me.

I once found a beautiful lime green spider in savanake forest...what kind was that?

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Poor spiders are getting a right hard time here :rolleyes:
They play a great role in nature and i think they are pretty cool, that and anything that eats flies, midges, mozzies is ok in my book:D
None of our spiders over here will cause anyone any harm so let em be. The minute you move one out of the house another will take its place so learn to live in harmony lol. I think they are pretty funny to watch running across the floor.... that is until the dog see`s one :eek:

I've been bitten twice by the bu**ers we have down here, the second time my thumb was numb for 5 days and I didn't even see the blighter.:rant:

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
If you have got spiders in your house, you aint got mice, as mice eat the spiders. I would prefer the spiders to the mice, but not by much. errgghhh

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I don't mind the bonny looking ones and spiders generally up to maybe 10p size.
The ones that stonk across the carpet, often bigger than 50p's and wouldn't look out of place clanking across the Russian steppe.....eesh!
Then of course, I get the job of ambushing them and turfing them out:swordfigh ( it could kill a lesser man you know!)
I've been bitten by spiders before,they got in my wellies! I suppose I'd bite some buxxer trying to crush me in a dark, smelly welly, as a last resort! it stung a bit but then itched like hell for days.
cheers
R.B.

The thing with witchcraft and modern science.....A witch can cast a spell to herd feral cats into neighbours garden, make up a herbal mix and throw it over the area to be cursed, where a scientist would make up a pheramone mix to do the same. They are both using compounds that attact cats, they just have a differant out look.
You're not kidding...
One thinks they are casting a spell and cursing something...
Another thinks they are throwing something with a smell that will draw cats in. Even if both think that, one still thinks there's Magic(k) involved.

Unless they mean magic(k) in the broadest sense possible - which would also include things like cooking, carving and so on - it's kinda silly.

An experiment would be useful.
I couldn't agree more. I'm almost tempted to try and do one at home. I reckon some cheap wood, a bit of perspex and some conkers would do the trick. The thing is - if spiders will avoid an area with conkers in it, how to arrange the maze so the entire thing doesn't get the aroma in it.

Hmm - pen and paper time I think... :D

I can't help shaking the feeling that certain old wives tales have some shred of thruth to them - often quite a useful one.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Got to get me some conkers! I have such an irrational fear of spiders. Strangely I don't mind them so much outside, it's when they invade my home uninvited that I get really scared! Conkers in every room by tonight, just in case it works :lmao:

Some while back I visited a castle in the Perigord called Chateau de Hautefort. All the wood used in the construction was Horse Chestnut and the weird things was there was not a spider in there, no cobwebs, nothing, even on the outside coverered passageways. The guide actually mentioned that fact, saying it was because of the Horse Chestnut wood used. And there weren't enough people to clear out all the cobwebs:rolleyes: . So maybe the conkers trick does work, or some bit of Horse Chestnut wood, if there are enough of them.

jojo - that makes sense. Wouldn't take much to sweep the cobwebs though - you just need Ken Dodd to do a round of the castle each day and there wouldn't be a single one.
Mistletoe works against werewolves in the same way :p Haha.

That castle really reminded me of that Dr Who episode. Brilliant stuff it was too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE