Believe it or not? Fact or fiction?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
I like many people have an irrational fear of Spiders not the itty bitty ones, the big autumn specials, that wander into the house of an evening and run round the floor beating up the dogs.

Right, last year about this time a discussion was had in which postulated that if you keep Horse Chestnuts in bowls in certain rooms around the house spiders will not go into those rooms. Of course I laughed at such a suggestion and guffawed out loud and spent the next three days picking up conkers, strategically placing them in the lounge and bedroom.

Now I have to report that I have seen significantly less spiders in those rooms, the question is, has my imagination got the better of me or are my conkers fully functioning?

Last year approximately 11 largish spiders were captured and returned to the wild (upturned glass and card method) by this time last year, this year 2 have thus far been intercepted. Views and comments awaited with interest.

:eek: :eek:

Andy

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
Andy,
Dunno about conkers, but I just caught one this evening using the glass and beermat method. This bu99er was so big its legs poked out from under a standard 1pt beer glass.
Even our cat wasn't interested in tackling it - tho' I think he was engrossed watching big cat live!

Nick

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Got to get me some conkers! I have such an irrational fear of spiders. Strangely I don't mind them so much outside, it's when they invade my home uninvited that I get really scared! Conkers in every room by tonight, just in case it works :lmao:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I can now pick large spiders up with my bare hands, but I cannot do it if they are scampering around in nooks and crannys. They have to be out in the open. It's taken me a few months to get to that stage, confront your fears!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Luckily I don't fear "pidders".. I have one of these as a pet

large.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Spiders, snakes, slugs, woodlice, eariwigs.......all nae bother......a moth and I squeak like a girl :eek: :rolleyes:

I heard that using mugwort worked too for spiders. A little bunch with melissa (lemon balm) hung beside doors and windows is supposed to stop them coming in.

cheers,
Toddy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I would if I could, but I can't so I sha'nt.

Andy

As one of my old Training NCOs' used to say:

"Can't means won't, won't means jail!"

Start with a money spider and post a picture of it on your hand. Take it slowly, you won't completely get rid of your fear, my heart still goes ten to the dozen when I pick the big 'uns up. It's just a teensy weensy money spider! Goewan! :D

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I suppose it's possible... On the other hand, this rock keeps tigers away. I don't see any tigers round here...

How could you actually test this? You'd need some kind of spider "maze", where they can choose chambers with or without conkers. Since it's presumably a long-range effect, you'd need a big "maze". Stick a spider in, and see where it goes. (You'd probably want time-lapse video). Do it a whole bunch of times with a whole bunch of different spiders. And also do it a bunch of times with no conkers at all...

Behavioural science is hard.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
I can now pick large spiders up with my bare hands, but I cannot do it if they are scampering around in nooks and crannys. They have to be out in the open. It's taken me a few months to get to that stage, confront your fears!

I have been trying! Can pick up tiny ones now but can't ever see myself being able to handle the big ones. I think its inbuilt from growing up in South Africa having to watch out for black widows and the like! :eek:

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Front two are pedipalp modified legs used for the capture of prey and in the males ultimatly carry its sexual organs, the palpal bulbs.
As for the things to keep them out of the house they are old wives tales unfortunatly for Arachnophobics, best bet is to get a Dog or a Cat who eats them if your scared of them lol ;)

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Front two are pedipalp modified legs used for the capture of prey and in the males ultimatly carry its sexual organs, the palpal bulbs.
As for the things to keep them out of the house they are old wives tales unfortunatly for Arachnophobics, best bet is to get a Dog or a Cat who eats them if your scared of them lol ;)

Oh! cheers for that Paganwolf I was building my self up to think that it might work.

Dave is that the spider they call the red knee tarantula. Very nice.

Andy

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Dave, how come that beastie looks like it's got ten legs ? :confused:

cheers,
Toddy

The two small ones at the front are called pedipalps and are used for sensory detection of prey and they're also used in mating. The male will stroke the female with his pedipalps causing her to become calm, he then lifts the female up and deposits his "packet" then has to leg it before she regains her composure and eats him for a post coital snack !! :eek:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I lived in OZ for a year and after finding a huntsman in my washing and Red Backs in my shoes i find it hard to get worried about the ones over here :eek:

xylaria

The thing with witchcraft and modern science, not all things about nature are known to science. However that doesn't mean that a natural effect has not been observed at sometime in past, and hence is an old wives tale. A witch can cast a spell to herd feral cats into neighbours garden, make up a herbal mix and throw it over the area to be cursed, where a scientist would make up a pheramone mix to do the same. They are both using compounds that attact cats, they just have a differant out look.

Spiders are very sensitive to chemicals in the environment, and conkers are rarely attacked by insects. Yeah I know a spiders aren't insects, and insects aren't fish or prawns, but quite a few biocides work on more than one type of animal. An experiment would be useful.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Spiders don't bother me in the slightest, it's bleeding ants I can't stand. As for the conker thingy, I don't know abot that :( sorry I can't be much help :)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I lived in OZ for a year and after finding a huntsman in my washing and Red Backs in my shoes i find it hard to get worried about the ones over here :eek:

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean there... "That's not a spider - this is a spider!". :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE