Beginners knife use - any tips?

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
As a bushcraft newbie, I'm still getting up-to-speed on various aspects of woodcraft etc.

I've bought myself a SS Frosts Clipper, but I've not really put it to any use yet!

Are there certain basic skills I can practice in the back garden that will be generally useful around a campsite?

I've tried sharpening a stick to make a tent peg which was fun.

Any suggestions for 4-5 basic uses I could aim to learn over the next couple of months?

I thought maybe:

- feather sticks
- battoning (any good online guides around?)
- pot hanger

but I'm not really sure what punishment I can expect an SS Clipper to stand up to!

Any and all thoughts gratefully received :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
My first thought is safety. You should always ask yourself, if you follow the cut of the blade along it's line of travel, where COULD it end up?

Don't carve in your lap unless you have a leather apron. Lean forward so if the blade slips or cuts clear through something, it doesn't cut an artery in your leg. That would be a quick path to a short life. And it happens.

There are ways to position your hands so that the blade will stop forward motion because a part of your hand or arm came to rest against something, such as the piece you are working on, or your chest if you are cutting towards you. This takes practice but becomes second nature once you've mastered it.

Scarce as hen's teeth but "Swedish Carving Techniques" by Wille Sundqvist provides some great info on safe and effective carving techniques. His son, Jogge, also has a video with good information as well.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Good link Spam,
Wayland also did a knife safety thread which is worth a read. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22194&highlight=knife+safety

Wallenstein,
There are good descriptions of cutting techniques in a lot of Ray's books. I'd like to point out that there are many ways of using your arms while using a knife, you can "lock" an elbow or a wrist and move your shoulder or whole body to effect a strong cut. You can also brace both knife and workpiece against your chest - where simply "breathing-in" will effect a short, controlled cut.
If you are in any doubt about a cut, put your knife away and practice with a wooden batton to find the potential dangers, contact pints and safe zones.

ATB

Ogri the trog

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Just to add to the excellent advice already posted, you could also visit the BCUK shop and buy a back issue of the BCUK magazine Issue 2 – Summer 2006 (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/Bushcraft-Magazine/-Bushcraft-Issue-2/Detailed-product-flyer.html). It has a wonderful seven page article called ‘The Try Stick’ by Mors Kockanski that explains some very useful carving techniques, and it’s beautifully illustrated.

All you need is a stick and a sharp knife, and you’ll be able to practice some very useful techniques that you could use for making all kinds of camp gadgets.

Best regards,
Paul.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
There's a book called Bushcraft by Mors Kochanski which has lots of useful stuff for a beginner and is less than a tenner on Amazon. Along with other stuff it has really good clear line drawings showing simple, safe knife grips for different purposes ... and what to do if you cut yourself :rolleyes:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Good link Spam,
Wayland also did a knife safety thread which is worth a read. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22194&highlight=knife+safety
<snip>
Ogri the trog

Indeed, it is a good reference and also included in the thread I mentioned. I'd say the safety factor is probably more important than how you actually use the knife. Definitley make sure you keep the knife sharp and have a FAK to hand whenever you are cutting, even if it is a bit of string.

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
There's a book called Bushcraft by Mors Kochanski which has lots of useful stuff for a beginner and is less than a tenner on Amazon. Along with other stuff it has really good clear line drawings showing simple, safe knife grips for different purposes ... and what to do when you cut yourself :rolleyes:

edited for more realism

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Those knives can take quite a bit of punishment, and are cheap so damaging them is not going to make you cry.

Battoning and feather sticks are very important to get good at, especially if you don't carry an axe.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
If you can get hold of it the Ray Mears Bushcraft series one dvd has a good section on handling, cutting and sharpening thats well worth a look.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
If I remember correctly I’ve read a thread somewhere that some versions of the DVD don’t have the ‘Extras’ section included, which contains the 30 minutes of extra footage on knife use and maintenance. It might be wise to buy the DVD directly from Woodlore, if anyone is considering doing so. I can confirm that the WL DVD does have that extra video footage, but can’t personally confirm that the DVD available from other retailer’s don’t, though.

Having just looked at the cover of my copy of the DVD it does say on the front 'EXCLUSIVE 30 MINUTES EXTRA FOOTAGE...' (their caps, not mine)

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Paul.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
but I'm not really sure what punishment I can expect an SS Clipper to stand up to!
You can test it out for yourself :cool:
I find with tools (any tools) you have to reach a point where you dont worry about them (if your spoiling there pristine movie star good look's:D ); use them a lot in all weathers and various scenario's to get the feel of them, there strengths and weknesses, test them put them under stress even, see what they are like to maintain, what they will and wiill not do (within reason of course, I mean you wouldnt use a hook knife to fell a 3 foot diameter oak:lmao: ) If the tool suits you and is any good you will soon know, and you will find yourself reaching for it again and again:)

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Cheers all - the Mors Kochanski book looks excellent, I've seen his name on various bushcraft boards as someone who knows his stuff!

Part of the reason I chose the Clipper was that it's so cheap that I'm happy to try stuff with it. I've seen a few peeps here who've bought a lovely handmade knife, but have been unwilling to use it in case they spoil it.

Now the sun is finally shining I'll get meself down to the woods and try a few things out!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE