Beginners attempts at whittling...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Hiya guys and gals...

Im relatively new to whittling/carving, but in the last few months have had a go at producing something of some use instead of putting my efforts on the fire...so here are a few spoons and a hazel ring I crafted for the future Mrs P. Starting on the left my first ever Laburnum spoon (finding out afterwards its poisonous), followed by a beech spoon (wood had already seasoned and was like stone!), followed by a willow spoon and butter knife...hopefully you can see some improvement from left to right!!

Any advice/criticism welcome...

IMG-20110428-00945.jpg

IMG-20110428-00946.jpg

and for the hazel ring, it started like this...

IMG-20110428-00947.jpg

...so I sliced off a fraction with a saw, and using just an Opinel, it turned into this...

IMG-20110423-00899.jpg

...and a tiny bit of sanding later it turned out like this...

IMG-20110424-00921.jpg

I found the ring making process really REALLY simple, and plan on doing many more, maybe involving some colrosing if I am able.

So thanks for looking :)

Pablo...

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Brilliant matey, its nice to see the progression, I really like the ring idea, as does Wifey!!(git) you've really got the proportions right on your latest spoon. Yaaaaaay!

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Nice willow spoon Pablo, looks really good in the hand. Every piece of wood teaches you something new, that's what i love about carving - keep at it :)

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
They look fantastic mate, you and your betrothed must be well chuffed.

Cheers
Louis
Ps in the third pic down what sort of brick is that?

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
cheers LouLou...aye we're super stoked :) 12 weeks left..eek!! was thinking of carving her a wedding spoon, inscribed etc...for all the meals she'll be cooking once we're married (jokes!) ha ha.

One of the bridesmaids was watching me carve the latest creation and wants one as her wedding favour (?!)

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
make sure the wedding spoon is of a nice light wood, like balsa for when you get battered with it for that comment!
Seriously though, really good work

Virgil

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2010
East Sussex
First attempts? Both amazing and demoralising at the same time... Mine looks like it was carved by a five, no four, year old....

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
thanks for all the kind words guys...

The hazel was green when I got my hands on it. To carve out the inside, I simply made a slight depression with the tip of my knife and rotated it (think hearthboard for bowdrill). Slowly but surely a hole appeared :) then it was simply a case of taking off the excess around the outside. To get a smooth finish I simply rubbed it down with a bit of sandpaper and finished with some linseed oil...

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
The ring's awesome. The awl on your swiss army knife is an ideal tool for starting the inside. An easy way to make woggles for scouts too.

Laburnum is notionally toxic. But you do need to ingest a significant quantity for it to be dangerous. Just try not to swallow the spoon whole and you should be alright! It does make lovely looking carvings.

Cheers, and.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE