Beginner Attempts at Carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hey all,

If you read my my thread in the welcome forum you'll know I'm just picking up the whole woodworking thing again.

Here are a few early attempts. Be really good to have thoughts and especially any obvious tips and areas where I could improve. Only the spoon is finished at mo (well and the mallet technically but that wasn't a hard task).
282ba9af5e239468b201c75f2013efd1.jpg
ffd03e8d633666412763cea421fc92c1.jpg
a1fedbacaa5fce747b1352db8ff3bc6c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I am easily bored and as well as that I read elsewhere about another woodworkers method for dealing with carvers ache! If that is even such a thing. He said when his hand starts to ache he switches, as you say, to a project that requires a different tool and approach.

So I figured that would work well for me too so rather than hit one project and see it through I have a few on the go at once and just pick up whichever one takes my fancy at any given time.

Loves spoon (swmbos insistence!) And Owl is next on the list :)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Welcome. Nice to see a variety of projects. The techniques all contribute to eachother.
I have 6 carvings, various sizes and ages, on the bench. Agreed, it's refreshing to switch.

I notice your sharpening/honing supplies. Half the task in my view.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE