Beer Barrel Conversion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Probably been asked before, but I couldn't find anything when I did a search.

I have been given a beer barrel with a triangular fitting and I want to turn it into a wood burner. Does anyone know how to remove the filling valve off the top. Haven't been able to find anything on the internet. Thanks.

Picture for info
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160725_204725.jpg
    20160725_204725.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 223

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
wildthing - please be aware that unless you've got a proof of purchase, kegs and casks are owners of the brewery (and if it has gone into receivership, it is likely owned by the receivers)

kegs and casks that fall into 3rd parties are chased (including internet searches) by k e g w a t c h.

The reason you won't find anything on the internet is because generally speaking, there's no such thing as a keg that has left active service and they rarely get modified.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
wildthing - please be aware that unless you've got a proof of purchase, kegs and casks are owners of the brewery (and if it has gone into receivership, it is likely owned by the receivers)

kegs and casks that fall into 3rd parties are chased (including internet searches) by k e g w a t c h.

The reason you won't find anything on the internet is because generally speaking, there's no such thing as a keg that has left active service and they rarely get modified.
In York, every time there is a medium-high flood, several dozen empty or near-empty kegs end up floating down the river Ouse.
I seriously doubt the breweries recover them.

They are only aluminium aren't they, so wouldn't stand up to much of a fire.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
In York, every time there is a medium-high flood, several dozen empty or near-empty kegs end up floating down the river Ouse.
I seriously doubt the breweries recover them.

They are only aluminium aren't they, so wouldn't stand up to much of a fire.

They sell £50 of beer in a £100 container, generally that's big expense for a brewery. They do reclaim them. K e g w a t c h does it on their behalf.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
They sell £50 of beer in a £100 container, generally that's big expense for a brewery. They do reclaim them. K e g w a t c h does it on their behalf.

Yup, as Tim says that organisation does reclaim kegs.

Direct quote from their website

K*g W***h [FONT=&amp]pays rewards for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the theft or [/FONT][FONT=&amp]unauthorised destruction of containers[/FONT][FONT=&amp].[/FONT]

I've highlighted the bit in red just so the OP realises that they better be squeaky clean with regards the keg they've posted pics of :)

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Be aware that if it's a keg the spear that goes down the centre is sometimes pressurised and can fly out at speed when removed. Also the one in the pic looks to be aluminium. If you can get one you want an old cask container made from stainless. A firkin or kilderkin make good wood burners but a barrel is way too big.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Wot Johnny said. You need a tool to remove it and preferably reduce the pressure first...

I've thought about going Sankey but prefer cornie kegs myself.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If I'd known that, I would have bothered pulling the bloody things out of the river. They were a nuisance when we lived aboard a boat. A floating keg makes a hell of a noise when it hits a steel boat in the middle of the night.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I didn't say you got that as a reward. Kegs are generally considered too hot to handle. K e g w a t c h even attends events to check them

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
Be aware that if it's a keg the spear that goes down the centre is sometimes pressurised and can fly out at speed when removed. Also the one in the pic looks to be aluminium. If you can get one you want an old cask container made from stainless. A firkin or kilderkin make good wood burners but a barrel is way too big.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

+1 to that. I've been involved in the licensed trade for over 40 years. Once saw someone loose an eye when they tried to remove the spear and hadn't depressurised it first.

Take care mate

Andy

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
+1 to that. I've been involved in the licensed trade for over 40 years. Once saw someone loose an eye when they tried to remove the spear and hadn't depressurised it first.

Take care mate

Andy

Yep seen some nasty accidents with them being removed without knowing what your doing.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
:cop:Wild thing just get yourself an old gas bottle,it would be easier and less criminal. :cop:

This. Ive never come across a woodburner being made from aluminium. It's quite a reactive metal when exposed to heat, air, and moisture. At high temperatures it burns, it certainly oxidises quickly. Like when you put an ali can in the fire, it just disappears. I've had my steel burner glowing red, something that could melt aluminium.

There's a reason iron and steel is used for burners. It may not be the most conductive metal for transferring heat, but it can stand several more hundreds of degrees temp.

Do vent your gas bottle upside down and leave for a while. When the valve has been removed, fill with water to push any remaining gas out. Drain, and get the grinder out.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE