Bee orchids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I'd thought I'd share some pics of our local Bee orchids. Although not rare, I think they're quite localised. I understand that sometimes it could be a number of years before they appear in the same spot again. The petals mimick the female bee to attract male bees for pollination. They make a really attractive wildflower.

Pablo.

Beeorchid2.jpg

Beeorchid1.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fantastic pictures pablo - thanks

Is it me or can you see Gordon the Gopher in the top one? :D

Red

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
That's fantastic, I found my first wild orchid this year (early purple I think) having never looked before which was cool. Thanks for showing your photo what sort of areas would these be found in.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Sorry for the delay in replying.

I think they're found well drained turf. These were found on meadow-type land. Apparently they also grow on limestone, calcareous dunes or in open areas in woodland.

Thanks you all for your comments.

Pablo.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Cool pics mate will have to go and have a look at Wenlock Edge by me as they are found there, which is close to me......didn't realize they were out yet better go and have a look see.
Saw this monday havent looked it up yet but presumably an orchid?!

Actually looking at that not so sure I'll go get my book....Dave

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Sorry thanks for the correction!
Actually I'm sure I have got a pic of a yellow orchid but didnt look at the pic too closely b4 posting as I was on the way out to look at a badger set.
LOve the few orchids I have seen even the early purple orchid which I suppose is as common as muck must get over to look for the bee orcid
over the quarry at the weekend.
Ta Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE