Bedrolls worth using?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
I normally have one of two bags with me when I head out depending on the time of year and weather, mixed with a good bivvy bag. For years this has worked just fine. I saw a thread on here about the Czech style 3 part bedrolls and looked into them a bit more. Obviously they are big heavy things best used when very close to camp & car. But I wonder what practical benefit do they have over a good bag & bivvy?

I understand some folks may prefer them for various asthetic reasons, but before I think of buying one I am just curious as to why I should?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Your right in that it is not nearly as warm as a sleeping bag of a similar weight. A goretex bivvi is more waterproof than the Nylon of the Czech roll and you really need a roll mat of some sort with either option.
All this doesn't stop me loving mine though, I enjoy the simplicity of it and I like that I can kick off my boots and get in without worrying about damaging it (Especially now I've put a CCF in a survival bag in under the lower blanket). Also it's not really heavy as much as it is bulky. Ultimately price is the factor here I guess. You wont find to find a bivvi and sleeping bag combo for a tenner.
Of course I guess like me you've probably already got a good bag and a bivvy, so as you say its a choice based on aesthetics and to have that vintage type of experience.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
As Copper says, it down to what you like, its bomb proof, it will never keep up with a modern sleeping bag of its size and weight.

Its not really heavy as such, but it bulky, it also brings a different style of camping...

I do like mine, and will probably try to use it into winter..

its a tenner give it a go :)

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Love mine- combined the Czech bag with a staggeringly heavy polish bed roll- bulky but great to climb into on a day like today- think the combo was only £30 all in

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They are heavy, cold and soak up moisture. Good for playing 'mountain man' in the summer though. Just my pennies worth. Keep your sleeping bags.

Stamp

Forager
Aug 26, 2010
Swindon
I have both a bedroll and bivi bag, I bought them for my kids to sleep in for a little extra warm. I end up using a bedroll as I despise getting in and out of the bivi bag, takes be ages to get in and comfortable, I like the zip of the bedroll but the size of the bivi! Just can't decide which is best........?

Theres only one way to find out............FIGHT! ! ! !

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I end up using a bedroll as I despise getting in and out of the bivi bag, takes be ages to get in and comfortable,

Do you have an army surplus bivvi? I've got the British Army one with a zip fitted down the front seam of the bag. Got it done at my local clothing alterations place for a tenner plus £4 for the zip (31"). The bivvy 'wiggle' is a thing of the past :).

Still love the bed roll though :cool:.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I enjoy mine.
Its horses for courses some folk take a tablet internet dongle and watch films in their tent I prefer a bed roll and to play mountain man

True, but at least I'm warm and dry :)

I'm getting one of these for the tent next

[video=youtube;ZSsFOlBAGZ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSsFOlBAGZ0[/video]

I can watch my Mountain Men videos in comfort :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE