Bed roll idea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
I normally camp using an issue roll mat,bivvy bag and artic sleeping bag
i put the roll mat and sleeping bag inside the bivvy bag

Thinking about this today and the bottom material of the bivvy bag isnt needed as the closed cell foam kipmat will keep moisture from the ground away from me
the bottom of the sleeping bag doesent insulate properly because its compressed by my body so cant loft

Im contemplating making a closed cell foam mat the same size and shape as the bottom of the bivvy bag and attaching just the top half of a sleeping bag and the top half of a bivvy bag to it to make a sort of bed roll

Thinking maybe have it zip to the kip mat down one side and sewn in on the opposiste side

I like the idea of being able to just unroll it and jump straight in then get out in the morning and just roll it back up again and losing the bottom of the sleeping bag and bottom of the bivvy bag would drop the bulk down

Could i have you ideas and input please
as im sure ive missed somthing obvious in my idea and id rather not cut up a good bivvy bag and sleeping bag to find out it wasent a good idea

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
though the bit your body is on at the time does not loft the rest does, also the bit your on adds a half inch to your roll mat i reck chap, maybe a thicker matt to compensate but then your loosing the benefit of cutting away the bits,

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
If I'm picturing what you're talking about correctly, then when you roll it up (unless you spend a while
drying the base off...), you're going to be rolling the dampness into everything... Does that make sense..??

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
What Expat said. Also, you'll have a difficult time making a waterproof seam between the roll mat and the cut-up bivi bag. Even if you did, I don't expect it would last long, since any stitching will tend to tear out of the closed cell foam.

Are you only trying to cut down on bulk, or weight as well? A self inflating mat will save on bulk, but not weight. You can also, (at least you could about 5 years ago), buy sleeping bags that only have fill in the top and sides - for exactly the reason you've mentioned.

Whatever route you go with the sleeping bag and mat, me personally, I'd leave the bivi bag in one piece.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What Expat said. Also, you'll have a difficult time making a waterproof seam between the roll mat and the cut-up bivi bag. Even if you did, I don't expect it would last long, since any stitching will tend to tear out of the closed cell foam.

Are you only trying to cut down on bulk, or weight as well? A self inflating mat will save on bulk, but not weight. You can also, (at least you could about 5 years ago), buy sleeping bags that only have fill in the top and sides - for exactly the reason you've mentioned.

Whatever route you go with the sleeping bag and mat, me personally, I'd leave the bivi bag in one piece.

There's still a few bags about with just top filling and a sleeve for a mat, I think Rab are doing a few in their range called SL. I'd look at a lighter bivvy and bag to cut the weight and bulk down.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Imo the lofting issue doesn't come into play with an issue bag as they are synthetic and if you 'Skin' one, you can easily compare the constitution of the filling with that of a mat. It's like the packing foam used in industry. That's another reason why they are so difficult to roll and compress compared to a 'holofill' type synthetic bag.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE