Becker BK2 Micarta Handles.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
Hi

Does anyone know where I can get hold of some Micarta Scales for my BK2? Even Heinnie Haynes can't seem to get them!

I've found them in the US, but the postage doubles the price.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Ed

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
Looks like I'm not the only one then... Yep, for some reason the various US companies want a lot for postage? I've ordered other stuff from cross the pond and not had to pay much at all.

I'm thinking a group buy may be the way ahead, so the postage will be a lot less and by the time it's shared out it will be far more realistic?

I'll do a little research and repost on here to see how many takers there are.

Ed

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
I also looked into a pair but for a BK9, I think they are the same as for the BK2, and will be interested to see what your research comes up with Ed.

Cheers,
Pete.

I think they're all the same Pete, apart from the differently designed 15 - 17 etc. I've got some emails to write and some replies to go through so it may be worth subscribing to this thread so we can keep it all in one place. It doesn't take much searching to find most of the Becker owning UK can't get them either, so hopefully a nice big order will be possible.

There's the TDI belt clip for the BK 14, which is also proving elusive. Although its great worn as a Neck Knife, the option to clip it where you like would be nice.....

Please do spread the word to fellow Becker users so I can assess demand and watch this space :)

Ed

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
I've tried and failed to find these myself! I think the US is the only place you can get them, and as you say, it costs a fortune! The other option is to make some yourself I guess.

I looked into making some and to be honest it looks pretty straight forward... IF you have the right tools. And there's the crucks of the problem. The fabric is free (an old pair of whatever's), but the Epoxy, clamps, Dremel (or equivalent) etc etc. by which time I could have just bitten the bullet and paid full wack and still paid less .

A good idea for the better equipped amongst us though?

Ed

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
I would say make your own,a very simple shape to follow the becker b2.
Ive made custom scales for a ukpk carbon fibre,enlan EL01 orange G10,sebenza's etc in the past and really straight forward,just cut once and measure twice!!

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
I would say make your own,a very simple shape to follow the becker b2.
Ive made custom scales for a ukpk carbon fibre,enlan EL01 orange G10,sebenza's etc in the past and really straight forward,just cut once and measure twice!!

Agreed about them being a simple shape. What tools did you use? Epoxy etc?

Ed

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
I used a bansaw to cut the rough shape,pilar drill to accuratley drill the holes.the screws will hold the scales in place so not sure what you mean about epoxy!!
All the final work was done by a dremel.

Agreed about them being a simple shape. What tools did you use? Epoxy etc?

Ed

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
I used a bansaw to cut the rough shape,pilar drill to accuratley drill the holes.the screws will hold the scales in place so not sure what you mean about epoxy!!
All the final work was done by a dremel.

That's the problem. I don't have those tools and it would cost more than the postage to buy them.

The Epoxy was for making the Micarta from scratch. Although that's cheaper to buy as a block too.

Ed

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Ive made my own scales too but not with epoxy!you need laminating fibre glass resin,again very easy to make.

That's the problem. I don't have those tools and it would cost more than the postage to buy them.

The Epoxy was for making the Micarta from scratch. Although that's cheaper to buy as a block too.

Ed

Last edited:

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
Ive made my own scales too but not with epoxy!you need laminating fibre glass resin,again very easy to make.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to give it a go now just for interests sake, although it will have to be with hand tools as its not worth paying a stack on proper tools for this one job; if the Mrs thinks I'm capable of anything useful bang goes my retirement!!! I'm still looking into the group buy as there are so many people who would like them (including me).

As for the Fibre Glass Resin, yes you can use it, it's just most of the searches I have conducted use the term 'Epoxy'. In fact the resin used for production of fibre glass would appear to be a 2-part polyester, vinyl or epoxy substance, so it's 6 and 2 x 3's. The main reason for not using the Araldite type of epoxy seems to be the price, preferring instead to use the Fibre Glass Epoxy-resin/polyester/vinyl substance as its relatively cheap.

Either or, they all seem like nasty stuff when you're sanding etc, so another expense is PPE!

Ed

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
I'm doing a test purchase from the US for Micarta Scales. It should work out at £40 all in, including getting them back to the UK, then onward postage to buyers in the UK (which shouldn't be much extra).

When I have a firm price and know how long it takes I'll post it on here.

Ed

Last edited:

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
My Micarta Scales arrived from the US today!

I'm reckoning it would cost £40'ish all in, to your door, if anyone wants any. My family live out there so it seems to work out better for them to get the Scales and send over, rather than pay greatly inflated postage from suppliers. So, after you consider the cost of buying blanks and then purchasing the tools required to manufacture them I think this experiment has worked out well.

The Micarta has completely transformed the feel of this BK2 and made it a more pleasant tool to hold. It's also improved it aesthetically IMHO.

Here's some pics :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

If anyone still wants any, just let me know and I'll see what we can do.

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
They look good ED and have finished the knife off really well.
The sheath looks like you've modded it a bit too, nice set up.

Pete.

Cheers Pete. Yep, I'm really surprised at the quality and the increased grip to be honest. I used to have the the old scales cord wrapped, but on a knife this size that made the handle a little too large.

The sheath is original, with a Tek Lok and a Heinnie Haynes £5 pouch. The Para Cord on the side is the BK2 Lanyard; I find having it permanently attached is a pain. The spine is filed for the firesteel.

Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE