Bearclaw Field Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Hi all

I've got my order in for one! I'm number 30 so I guess I'll have to wait a while for mine.

The wait is going to be agony.

Nick

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Although I've not beeen following this closely, and I am far from an expert, I can't help feeling that Gary has got this exactly right:

Even the Micarta Woodlore is a bit too thick at 3.6mm, but at 3mm this looks ideal.

Curly birch looks traditional and yet is very solid.

It has a curiously traditional look - like a blend of a Scandinavian knife and a Scottish dirk/sgian dubh handle.

I am very tempted!

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Looks a very well thought out and well crafted knife. Looking forward to seeing a review to see how it actually handles.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Any chance of a picture of it on here?

Work computer won't let me access the BB site. Something about it being a weapons site!!

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
grd4.jpg
[/IMG

Happy to oblige but you will need to visit BB to find out more details Blackcat.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
I'm sorry I asked now

That is a beautiful looking knife

Thanks Gary

PS should have looked at your web site before posting, which I have done now but it doesn't explain how to get it past the wife

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Well my wife has problems walking past a shoe shop and as I buy very little kit I was aloud this time to splash out.

The only promise I had to make was to use it as much as possible, which will be an easy promise to keep. :D

Regards,
James

PS I love my wife

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
He's not the messiah! He's a very naughty boy! :D

Truly good looking knife Gary, very tempting. Perhaps when I've worn out my woodlore?

Dave

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Gary said:
Happy to oblige but you will need to visit BB to find out more details Blackcat.

Just had a look on the Bearclaw site. You've waxed all lyrical on us, Gary :D :D

Are you taking orders, yet? Or are the details on British Blades (I've been keeping clear since the forum came back up, to save money :rolleyes: . Looks like this may be what I was saving it for...)

Jim.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Thanks WB.

Jim sorry mate you'll need to visit BB for the details. All I'll say is hurry if you want a numbered one! ;)

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
information only - (not advertising)

Ladies and Gents just a quick note to let you all know the first 50 BFK's have now been reserved and as such all further knifes will be without a serial numbered blade.

Many thanks for your support.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
whitebuffalo said:
Very nice.

This knife looks almost Viking like to me.

Regardless, knowning Gary it will be a wonderful tool.

WB,
As a west country bushcrafter (where pennies are a seriuos consideration) which would you go for - Gary's well thought out bushcrafting masterpiece or one of the other custom favourites - like the Allan Blade Scandi pak pal, it has a good reputation and has a very reasonable price tag?
Neil

whitebuffalo

Banned
Oct 28, 2004
Cornwall
Neil thank you for considering that I have an authorative knowledge about knives and thus seeking my opinion. It is good to see someone asking rather than pretending they know it all.

However sadly I am no expert. And I have no experience of either knife. Mine is a Mora and I am happy with that.

But to anwer your question I like the look of Gary's new knife and having dealt with him several times now I know it will be as good or better than he says it is. With this in mind, were I to be on the market for one, I would definately buy a bearclaw.

Alas however I am not and while I would dearly love to own a 100% hand made knife I am content to carry on with me Mora (unless Gary wants to send me one as a gift, hint!)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Neil, the answer for me at least is to get both... actually, I'm in the middle of a big knife expansion plan at the moment. The BFK isn't cheap but after fiddling with one, I can confirm that it IS good value.

The one I handled was an antler handled one and was nowhere near as good looking as the birch.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that the handle wood is stabilised which is a plus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE