Bear Sighting!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi everyone,

I thought I would show you some pretty grainy photos of a rather exciting encounter! Several times a week I walk through a large meadow about a mile from my house to the edge of the vast forests of the Vrancea. I have been doing this same trip for months viewing mainly deer, buzzard, Hoopoe and occasionally wild boar. I sit at the top of a ridge looking down to the lower part of the meadow at about 400 metres. Our camera does not have much zoom capability so apologies for the poor quality. On this particular evening I had to take a double take as to what I was looking at through my binoculars. A full on Carpathian brown bear heading our way, so as you can imagine we didn't hang around for long!

Brown Bear by trackranger, on Flickr

Brown Bear on Bear Ridge by trackranger, on Flickr

The meadow is about 6 kms long and is used by the villagers as grazing land. There are no fences here so each herdsman/shepherd stay with their animals all day. They also have dogs with them too to protect their flocks as we have a high number of wolves and bears in close proximity to the village. The following link shows nomadic style shepherds on the same land, but they have now moved on with their flock to fresh grazing. The grass is now approximately two foot long and full of flowers and plants.

http://www.trackranger.com/2010/10/walking-with-shepherds.html

This next link will also show you the same meadow, but on the ridge where I go several times a week to view wildlife. http://www.trackranger.com/2010/06/bear-ridge.html There are an estimated 150 bears in the area, and many say the population is growing. There have been several confrontations between villagers and bears and I have interviewed 9 men that have been attacked. The story is usually the same, on their own at night looking for their cow or horse that did not return home after grazing. The bears also come into the village in Autumn to scrump for apples and pears from garden trees to lay down fat before the winter hibernation.

I am not sure how many wolves are in our particular area, but there are a lot. My area is frequented by a large 70+ kg male wolf. I have never seen him but one of the local rangers has several times. I have photographed his tracks and hope to catch up with him sometime soon!

DSC08159-600x450.jpg

The wolves rarely venture near to the village, but we had a very cold spell this last winter where temps dropped to -25oC. One of the villagers caught a pack of wolves consuming his Alsation that was on a chain!

Best wishes!

Paul

Last edited:
Thanks Andy,

I must say I was a bit nervous especially having my dog with me. There are two different trains of thought about walking with dogs in bear country. The majority believe a dog will bark, alert the bear of your presence and the bear will wander off not wanting a confrontation. However, I have also heard stories of dogs barking at bears with cubs. Mum runs after dog, so dog runs back to master for safety bringing in the bear behind it!

Cheers, Paul

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How cool is that !

I saw a black bear with her cubs in Jasper, Canada a few years ago. I was made up after that and it put a nice finish to the trip.

Thanks guys for the complements.

Unfortunately, there have been a few high profile cases of people being mauled in their tents. When I go out as you can see here http://www.trackranger.com/2009/10/wild-camping.html I leave nothing to chance. Never eat in your tent and store food well away. A big camp fire certainly helps which we keep going all night. We also have the land rovers each side of the tent with key fobs at the ready to set off the alarms!

Last edited:
D

Deleted dude 7861

Oh I thought you'd seen 'Bear Grylls' not just a brown bear.......pah...... :lmao::lmao:

Joking aside, that must have been a great encounter, nice photo :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
This was the big girl we saw in Jasper, her cubs were just in front of her but they were all being chased by a couple of deer for some reason.

We were sat in one of those old american yellow school buses which had just conked out and stranded us in the middle of nowhere when she came past. I had to take the shot through the bus window as they wouldn't let us get out because she had cubs with her.

IMG_0597.jpg

Thanks again guys. Sorry for the delay in replying as I have just been writing up another blog entry about todays events, Foxy my dog getting her shepherd training. This was day 2 which didn't go to well, lol !! http://www.trackranger.com/2009/06/foxy.html

Oh yes the sawdust burner. This guy designed it, and made it himself! A really efficient bit of kit too. He also made an engine block heater for his old passat. Not easy to start a diesel engine here when it is -25oC! http://www.trackranger.com/2008/12/winter.html He literally plugs his engine into the mains from his bedroom window and fires up first time.

He is a great guy and has had several interesting bear encounters himself. He spends the summer in a forest clearing high in the Vrancea mountains with more than 100 beehives, and living in his caravan. With all this honey he attracts a lot of attention from the bears! His procedure for dealing with a raiding bear is this. His 3 alsations go in for the attack. There is one big alpha male (that you wouldn't want to mess with!) which runs to the back of the bear in order to distract it away from the beehives. If the bear does not follow, it has been known to jump on the bears back! The other two Alsations go for one rear leg each, harassing the bear. While all this is going on, Istvan picks up a torch soaking in a bucket of diesel and paraffin. He lights it, then runs screaming at the bear. He has asked me if I fancied camping out with him. I politely declined!

Last edited:
This was the big girl we saw in Jasper, her cubs were just in front of her but they were all being chased by a couple of deer for some reason.

We were sat in one of those old american yellow school buses which had just conked out and stranded us in the middle of nowhere when she came past. I had to take the shot through the bus window as they wouldn't let us get out because she had cubs with her.[quote/]

They were right about the cubs. Have you ever seen this video clip? Not a black bear but when it comes to cubs, all bears are pretty much the same! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMbnmLLnsfw

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
More bear related news...

Two Hungarian tourists - father and son - were attacked by a hungry bear in Romania's South Carpathians, MTI learnt on Thursday.

The older man suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries when the bear, probably attracted by the tourists' provisions, charged at the tent they were sleeping in.

Romania's hills are home to some 5,000 bears (Ursus arctos), some of which have now taken to lurking on the outskirts of cities to find food in the garbage. The number of deaths resulting from bear attacks is on the increase.

:(

More bear related news...

Two Hungarian tourists - father and son - were attacked by a hungry bear in Romania's South Carpathians, MTI learnt on Thursday.

The older man suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries when the bear, probably attracted by the tourists' provisions, charged at the tent they were sleeping in.

Romania's hills are home to some 5,000 bears (Ursus arctos), some of which have now taken to lurking on the outskirts of cities to find food in the garbage. The number of deaths resulting from bear attacks is on the increase.

:(

Food in the tent probably, which is a classic mistake when camping here. It would probably be an idea for the Govt tourism agency to publicise camping safety precautions as much as they do in the US to prevent the frequency of attacks.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Food in the tent probably, which is a classic mistake when camping here. It would probably be an idea for the Govt tourism agency to publicise camping safety precautions as much as they do in the US to prevent the frequency of attacks.

I completely agree Paul,

I've grown up in black bear country my entire life. Bear ettiquette(sp?) will remove nearly all dangers in my honest opinion.

Bravo on the pictures! I loved seeing those! :)

I completely agree Paul,

I've grown up in black bear country my entire life. Bear ettiquette(sp?) will remove nearly all dangers in my honest opinion.

Bravo on the pictures! I loved seeing those! :)

Thanks!

When a bear is hungry enough it will take risks, so its best to take the temptation away and store food properly. When camping in Romania especially in the Carpathian mountains, you must always have 'bear' in the back of your mind!

Cheers, Paul

Jan 22, 2006
uk
Great thread!

I'm off to the Tatra's in a couple of weeks, its a family holiday so I doubt I'll get lots of time on the mountains proper, but I'm hoping to get the chance to look for Bear tracks. The paw print pic is a beauty.

Great blog Paul, excellent work!

cheers

Great thread!

I'm off to the Tatra's in a couple of weeks, its a family holiday so I doubt I'll get lots of time on the mountains proper, but I'm hoping to get the chance to look for Bear tracks. The paw print pic is a beauty.

Great blog Paul, excellent work!

cheers

Thanks! I will definitely keep you posted with any encounters or signs of bear activity. The following clip was taken by one of the rangers that I occasionally visit the forests with. He always carries a gun when on trips to this particular area. When a horse or cow dies in the village they are taken to specific clearings in the forest for bears to consume. Florin said that this bear is only a junior and is probably 3-4 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot3nAtDVtow

Have a good trip to the Tatra's

Cheers, Paul

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Great pictures I even had to shout to the Mrs to come and have a look
We are travelling through the mountains in Bulgaria next month and my daughter is a bit worried about bears so I won't show her!

Thanks for sharing

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Hi Paul, great blog indeed! I especially like the story on Foxy.....how is that for a great birthday present, coming from.....who knows, the universe maybe? Really wonderfull. And a great looking dog as well, especially the stand-off's with goat and sheep, hahahaha!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE