Bear Grylls vs Ultimate Survival?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I dont know about the Ultimate Survival Strikeforce. However I can confidently say that the BG fire starter is a load of tat! It does work, but not very well at all!

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Anything with that guy's name on should be avoided.

The Bear Grylls craghopper trousers I have are excellent. Tough, quick drying, hard wearing, light ....and only £19 in the sale.

Are you saying that if you were in a similar position you wouldn't do a licensing deal?

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I just loved it when BG was eating the remains of the apples out of the bear sh~t, he said it tasted like dog S****ttttttttt# smeared with bogies, Nice one BG. Craghopper trousers were never the best anyway but for £19 I don’t care whose name is on them.
Now where’s that apple tree.

Last edited:

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
The BG Gerber gear's just not very good. And I've never liked gear with other people's names on.

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
I have Craghoppers, too. But without the BG branding.
Re. Taking the coin? Of course I would. But I think it's weird to want to wear clothes with somebody else's name on. And no, I don't wear overtly branded clothing.

LuckyDucky

Forager
Dec 7, 2011
Hertfordshire
I really dislike bear grylls program, i have watched most of them but i find he is too in your face. I like his enthusiasm.
I really like ray mears. Brill in my opinion. Placid but informative. Ive been watching dual survival whick is good but similar to the bg program, more for escape n evade or rescue i like the long term bushcraft. Ray mears all the way.

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
I think he's just got a different style than say Ray Mears. I like them both for different reasons.

The Bear Grylls, Craghoppers stuff is well made, and fits me pretty well.

The equipment seems pretty robust and holds its values, i was looking at a BG ruck sack on fleabay and it was going vvvv well, beyond me any way!

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Bear takes the subject and jazzes it up a bit for the masses - and lots of people lap it up, so what. The same thing can happen with any TV show, something that seems quite unexciting and mundane to someone who lives with it everyday suddenly becomes on-the-edge stuff for the guy/gal sat in their comfortable armchair. Maybe some people on internet forums also jazz things up a bit to make them sound more exciting than they actually are.......

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Why? It is generally very good quality. Or is that just inverse snobbery on your part?

Been workin' on your tact while I've been away then.

Seriously though, BG Craghoppers are excellent quality, the Bayley knife was superlative quality, and although cheap and cheerful, the Gerber stuff is exceeding expectations too. So you can't call anything with his name on it poor quality because that just isn't true by any means, in fact, quite the opposite, it is part of Craghoppers luxury ranges and the Bayley knife is extremely high end in terms of hand made custom blades.

On the firesteel, Davey569 and I tried that one day and it wasn't too good. Although it wasn't the firesteel to blame, it was the striker. I've since sharpened that and it performs just as well as the LMF version.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
My big problem with his stuff, why all the orange?

Ever tried dropping your olive green handled Mora/Laplander saw on the woodland floor as evening draws in? At least you have a better chance of seeing the orange stuff, even if you don't necessarily want to use it ever again.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Ever tried dropping your olive green handled Mora/Laplander saw on the woodland floor as evening draws in? At least you have a better chance of seeing the orange stuff, even if you don't necessarily want to use it ever again.

Then I reach for me green maglite and if I drop that I in big trouble.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
On the firesteel, Davey569 and I tried that one day and it wasn't too good. Although it wasn't the firesteel to blame, it was the striker. I've since sharpened that and it performs just as well as the LMF version.

Thats interesting Jon, How did you come to that conclusion? Did you use a different striker?

I have to say Im quite tempted to get one of his folders too..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE