BCUK iPhone app

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I guess this question goes out to those who are better at programing than me. Would it be possible to create a BCUK "app" that would work in a similar way to the facebook app? That would let us easily navigate this forum & see latest posts while on the move.

Or can this already be done with another 3rd party app that i dont know of.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I find the iPhone browser is more than up to the task so I use that. I generally find that the site works very well on the mobile Internet. I am about to start having a play with some android development and who knows - I may give an app a go.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Yes safari does cope well, it is just a pain going through the whole login proceedure etc. With the face book app, you just launch, it takes seconds to refresh, auto login and the posts are there :)

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I ticked the remember login tick under the login and pretty much never have to type in user and password. Can't remember if iPhone uses that setting but iPad does so should work.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
There is an app called Tapatalk. Admin need to activate it as I understand.
It works on BB and a few other forums.
It works similarly to facebook.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
I am not an app programmer but I read that Apple charge you a huge amount of cash for testing and delivery onto the appstore for any app. You can however, deliver really cheaply, actually free an app for people that have a jailbroken touch/pad/phone.

The standard Android browser works fine for surfing BCUK - logs me in automatically. There is also a Firefox for Android version out soon (called Fennec iirc).

Edit:

Try OS Maps from the app market - gives you all the detail of the Landranger series on your phone, and it's free. (Well, free if you look at fewer than 40,000 map tiles per day).

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Try OS Maps from the app market - gives you all the detail of the Landranger series on your phone, and it's free. (Well, free if you look at fewer than 40,000 map tiles per day).
I would use an Android App, just got a HTC Wildfire. Love the digital compass, Tide predictor and Google Sky map.

Nick

Thanks guys ive just installed OS Maps and tide predictor, thanks for the tip
Ive found Googles MyTracks usefull as a gps logger
Al

teknohippy

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2010
Watford & Apsley, Herts
I'd love an app where you can take a photo of a plant / berry / fungi and it will tell you if it is edible or not.

(bet the T&C's would have the worlds longest disclaimer as well!)

I've been thinking about the possibility of developing this app, using the power of something like Amazon's Mechanical Turk Service.

Last edited:

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I'd love an app where you can take a photo of a plant / berry / fungi and it will tell you if it is edible or not.

(bet the T&C's would have the worlds longest disclaimer as well!)

As you say, crazy talk! It's a lawsuit in a pocket!

There are systems that do that sort of thing already, used in the agricultural industry mainly used in the processing of salad leaves (recognises bugs from salad leaves) and I believe mushrooms on wild mushroom production/drying lines. Not sure it's a great idea. Well, it is a great idea, but in reality it's unlikely to work. Give technology another 5-10 years...

ashes1627

Nomad
Nov 13, 2010
North Walsham, Norfolk
I am not an app programmer but I read that Apple charge you a huge amount of cash for testing and delivery onto the appstore for any app. You can however, deliver really cheaply, actually free an app for people that have a jailbroken touch/pad/phone.

It costs £59 for a years worth of being able to create ,test, publish and sell an iPhone app. Best of all, you can download the development kit before you even spend the £59, so you can create the app, pay the £59 and publish it straight away!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE