BCUK Borneo 2007 - An day at The Bush Pig and the building of a Fire Temple

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Whilst in Borneo, Stuart, Robin and I went for a trip to “Bush Pig” a little jungle camp built by Bod and some friends as a weekend retreat. Now to get to the Bush Pig, requires a 40-50 minute trek through the jungle

P1010006.jpg

which brings you to a large lake.

DSCF0617.jpg

Here we found a number of surf boards a sit on top and home made paddles.

DSCF0616.jpg

A 10 minute paddle brings us to the site.

Stuartsitshigh.jpg

Stuart experimented with various paddling techniques, one of which entailed sitting on his pack. This raised his centre of gravity which resulted in....

DSCF0619.jpg

When we arrived there a nice covered table with bench seats already built. So first things first, light a fire for a cup of tea.

DSCF0623.jpg

The site is lovely with clear water and thousands of flies. An old termite nest was added to the fire to smoke the little pests away.

Next job was an improvised tarp raft which I'm sure you'll all agree was a huge success!

P1010059.jpg

The fire was a normal ground fire and when it started to rain we had to grab some palm fronds to keep it dry. So what was needed was a proper jungle fire temple. This is a raised fire place used throughout the tropics that consists of three main parts; the fire platform which has a sand or soil box for the fire to sit on, a rack above the fire for drying out firewood and hanging pots from and a thatched roof to keep the whole thing dry. This little article walks through our construction.

While Robin & I set about harvesting sufficient staves to build the frame, rack and roof, Stuart set to work obtaining the base of the sand box. This is a piece of bark and quite tricky to get off in one piece. Of course the tree wasn’t completely ringed, this would kill the tree, only 2 thirds of the tree’s circumference was barked.

DSCF0630.jpg

The frame used a couple of existing trees for verticals to give us rigidity and work progressed until we had four verticals with cross ties for strength to act as the base for the sand box and the drying rack.

DSCF0626.jpg

One of the pleasures of building in the jungle is the abundance of materials. The tree’s grow straight and fast (in fact finding trees with forked ends proved to be a real challenge).

Rattan and various aerial roots are everywhere so cordage is plentiful and for roofing palm fronds are again plentiful.

Firetemplefirstleveldone.jpg

Once the basic frame was up and the soil box was ready (which consisted of the bark sheet and four pieces of wood notched together to form the open toped box), the next task was to collect the sand. This meant going down to the lake with a head net and wading out beyond the leaf litter covering the inshore lake floor and trawling the sand into the net. Once full the net was hung up to allow the water to drain out and the remaining wet sand was then put on to the bark. A couple of trips were needed.

FireTemplelashing.jpg

I went off to gather palm fronds for the roof while the others got a fire going in the sand box to help dry it out.

Stuart demonstrated the thatching of the roof, which is a good thing really as I was too short to reach.

thatchingthefiretemple.jpg

As usual you start from the base of the roof and work up so that each successive layer overlaps the lower one to provide effective run off. The fronds are used to tie themselves off to the framework.

Firetempleroofing.jpg

With the roof thatched and trimmed the fire temple was complete and rather nice looking as well. With luck it will last for a few seasons and provide users of the camp with a dry environment to cook with.

Firetemplecompleted-1.jpg

Whilst the roofing was happening, Robin prepared supper and after that with light fading it was back onto the boards and paddling by moonlight to watch the bats hunting over the lake.

It was time to leave an we had agreed to make the short trek back at night. A wonderful experience.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Glad you had fun there and sorry I was not able to join you.

Went there late last month. The temple hearth has collapsed unfortunately and I am wondering if the construction crew would care to return and rebuild it :)

My first temple fire attempt lasted 11 months so I think this must be about the average unless rattan and long lasting hardwoods are used.

The ridge pole of of the mess tarp has collapsed too 18 months after being put up.

I will replace it with a fibre glass spar from a sailboard mast.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Stuart was suggesting that something might happen in December, however, I don't know whether this will be something that would be suitable.

This was not a course. If you were to go into the jungle you would be responsible for your own safety. No satellite phone, no helicopter evac, no special expedition insurance. I am sure that Stuart mentioned some other things that weren't available when he asked if I wanted to come! :lmao: Leeches, spiders, snakes, centipedes, all layed on!!

I know that Stuart likes to know the people that go so as to be sure they are up to it and aren't going to be liabilities. counts me out! ;) :D

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Looks like fun.

I wouldn't go anywhere in the jungle without proper insurance and helicopter rescue cover.

A friend of mine had to pay for a student to be rescued recently. Cost in excess of £120000

That puts a dent on any trip.

BOD

Not with students, no.

But we did our EAP including the air evac. the year before

For the earlier jungle part 7 air troop was around and we were not more than a few hundred metres from a couple of LPs.

For bush pig an air evac is possible from an islet in the middle of the lake. RBAF would happily come in and would not charge. For less serious cases a water / road evac can be done .

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Id love to do something like that in the future, Im far to inexperienced to do it without some good long training though, Ill just have look at the photos and whimper!

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Stuart was suggesting that something might happen in December, however, I don't know whether this will be something that would be suitable.

This was not a course. If you were to go into the jungle you would be responsible for your own safety. No satellite phone, no helicopter evac, no special expedition insurance. I am sure that Stuart mentioned some other things that weren't available when he asked if I wanted to come! :lmao: Leeches, spiders, snakes, centipedes, all layed on!!

I know that Stuart likes to know the people that go so as to be sure they are up to it and aren't going to be liabilities. counts me out! ;) :D

If these plans go any further, then please let me know.

I've met Stuart over the past two bushmoots (not for long, mind) and he could ask anyone on the recent Norway course as to my level of skills (limited, but not a liability).

Based on the 120,000 figure quoted by Wayne, I think I'd be tempted to take out insurance though!

Ag

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Not with students, no.

But we did our EAP including the air evac. the year before

For the earlier jungle part 7 air troop was around and we were not more than a few hundred metres from a couple of LPs.

For bush pig an air evac is possible from an islet in the middle of the lake. RBAF would happily come in and would not charge. For less serious cases a water / road evac can be done .
EAP? LPs? I think I translated RBAF.

Why is the fire off the ground?

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Looks like fun.

I wouldn't go anywhere in the jungle without proper insurance and helicopter rescue cover.

A friend of mine had to pay for a student to be rescued recently. Cost in excess of £120000

That puts a dent on any trip.
In jungle conditions,venomous bites and small infections can become medical emergencies VERY quickly. Sat phone and Helicopter extraction would be essential for any organised expedition.:eek: :eek: .... But hey! Chris McCandles managed without,but he was only in a North American situation, not darkest Borneo,the most un-mapped island on the planet.:D :D

BOD

EAP? LPs? I think I translated RBAF.

Why is the fire off the ground?

EAP=emergency action plan, includes EEP (emergency evacuation plan)

LP= landing point (for helicopters)

Rich ,

If it rains small cooking fires / fire places become sodden. The ground is very damp and even dry wood absorbs a lot of moisture. Elevating the hearth and putting a roof over it solves both problems. Nice to come back to a dry place to cook your beans.

A well made one lasts about a year.

Guys, I think you are being a bit hard on the BCUK 2007 people. They carried a very comprehensive medical kit. By no means could it have been called a mere First Aid Kit. Their protocols for casualty treatment were better than than the WA State Emergency Services (which I was with for 7 years) and BCUK impressed me on that score. Everyone knew what to do. They were the most competent group of Brits in the bush I have ever met and that includes a few military people as well.

There are some places in the world where people rescue you without sending you a bill later and they were in one of them. So specific helicopter evacuation insurance was not necessary. Most travel insurance covering foreign travel, like GAP year, covers air evacuation back to the UK.

They had the Duty Officers numbers for the Garrison, High Commission, Shell medical Centre, a General Hospital, nearest Police and District Officer (who had been informed by me).

Most importantly, the indigenous people knew where they were and considered them to be their responsibility.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE