basic kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

mick

here's a list of my basic equipment. all suggestions are welcome. :)
1. rucksack or daysack
2. tarp or tent (depending)
3. sleeping bag
4. role mat
5. paracord
6. sweedish Army trangia or just the billy can
7. metal spoon
8. matches
9. firesteel
10. knife (mora)
11. lock knife
12. saw
13. waterbottles and brewing mug
14. brew kit tea, coffee etc
15. survival bag
16. first aid kit
17. socks (wool)

My first aid kit is fairly simple and consists of:

2 triangular bandages
2 crepe bandages 5cm
two roles of tape
resuscitation aid
pair of gloves
antiseptic wipes
assorted plasters
scissors
non adherent pads 5cm sqr and 10cm sqr

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Well thats a nice little basic kit... seems to cover fire food water and shelter...

I personally would add a whistle and a mirror/heiliograph for signalling (you never know!!!)

and some sort of filter (milbank bag) for filtering the crud water before you boil it.

....and if you are in wales like me, you want waterproofs on the top of your bag for easy access ;-) ...

:)
Ed

M

mick

thanks for the suggestions a milbank filter would be a good idea.
a little more detail on my kit.
all items in my pack a kept inside a rubble bag for waterproofing, with a spair rubble bag carried just in case.
a whistle is carried on a neck lanyard although i never thought of the mirror becuase of the usualy poor weather, a good idea though.
thanks for the advice

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Just having aquick look at your first aid kit, I was thinking you may want to add some pain killers and antihistamines (sp?).... and maybe a couple of hydrocollide(sp?) plasters for blisters....

Ed

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
seems a pretty good kit,

you don't seem to have a torch, even a basic £5 LED one would get you out of trouble if you drop your keys!

pair of tweezers from a swiss army knife are tiny and helpfull

some sort of washkit?

:roll:

M

mick

Ed - These hydrocloride plasters, which ones do you use. i used to use the the boots own brand but wasn't impressed so stopped adding them.

one item I use for blisters are the fabric knuckle plaster, there a good little multipurpose item.
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/firstaid/index.htm
try that site for ideas. worth a little look.

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
steve a said:
try using compeed(sp) they stick really well, will stick until you decide to remove them.
They've always come off too early with me, even when I reinforced them with tape...plus one type of plaster only suits one specific place, so you need tons of differant types.

I know everybody loves them, but I hate them just because they keep coming off! And I do put them on according to the instructions (warm them up etc.)...

jakunen

Native
That is a common problem. I think it's due to skin type or surface chemistry. I can't use the waterproof plastic plasters as they refuse to stick for more than 2 minutes but the old fashioned fabric ones sometimes need a pair or pliers and super-glue solvent to remove... :?:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Ed - These hydrocloride plasters, which ones do you use. i used to use the the boots own brand but wasn't impressed so stopped adding them.
I use wilko (wilkinsons stores) own brand ones.... they stick fine on my skin. scholl also make them but I've not tried these. I like them because of the cooling effect the have on those hot spot areas.

Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE