Base Layers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I've decided that its time to get myself a couple of nice merino base layers. I've been using synthetic endura ones on the mountain bike but as they're getting on a bit I think its time to invest in some new general purpose multi use base layers.

So they must be merino and reasonably priced:

But I've got no idea as to brands and they don't seem to be fancy enough go get reviews elsewhere on the net so any recommendations:

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
I used icebreaker merino, it was rubbish. Far too hot or feeling cold all the time, never comfortable.

Best base layer I have by a mile is the paramo trail shirt. I love it. Fast drying, windproof, comfortable, good looking, and keeps you comfortable all the time. It can be left half open or whatever as it buttons. I have used it in summer and been good, and in winter in a 140kmph wind and temps of about -15C with just a jacket on top and felt great all the time.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ullfrotte all the way for me, a bit pricey at around £40 a pop but top kit without a doubt.

Craghoppers do some nice merino also which can be picked up fairly cheap, places like TK Maxx get them in sometimes.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have used icebreaker in extreme dry cold as well as british winters and found it to be fantastic. The trick is to be comfortably cold so you're not sweating or shivering.

My girlfriend has some north face synthetic thermal base layers and likes them also.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I use icebreaker and really like it.

They have moved manufacture to China now so don't know what standards are like.

Chocolate Fish use the same wool and the locals who used to make icebreaker gear in NZ. Can't comment on the quality as I haven't worn out my original icebreaker stuff yet.

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
i've got chocolate fish, icebreaker, merrel and howies merino base layers.
Howies is the best by far imo, so good i've bought 2 vests,3 tshirts and a ls base layer, only downside is it is expensive, but it must be good becuse i 've got some and i am aright tightwad!

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Ice Breaker is my favorite followed closely by Smartwool. I favor short-sleeved tops in the 150-200g/m2 weights for most purposes, and 200g/m2 bottoms. The thicker 260g/m2 and even heavier Ulfrotto is a bit too much for my climate, but a 400g/m2 zip neck Ulfrotto has become my favorite trail "sweater" (jumper for you guys :D ). Stopping to rest, pulling that nice thick but light top on is pure heaven.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Cheers for the advice guys, I think I'm going to go for the parrellel or the Chocolate fish. The first because it fits the bill of being cheap. The second because its got the most reccomendations.

Either way I'll post my opinions when I've tried it.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
If you live anywhere near a Helly Hansen shop. try a 'Frost Hoodie'. They have them for sale at half price at the moment and they come in olive green. picked two up from McArthur Glen just outside Bridgend this morning. Part Merino,part Lifa.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I love the Howies NBL Merino base layers and live in them for most of the year.

They are normally around £50 but can be bought for half that in the Howies sales.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I ordered a base layer from chocolate fish this afternoon, sub £35 including postage. First test is going to be if it itches the h*ll out of me as I don't get on well with wool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE