Base Layer Weight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I recently accidentally bought a 250gsm RAB Meco base layer (it was on offer...), thinking that it would work as the foundation as I build my Arctic wardrobe. I'm not sure what the full load out will be, but doubtless it will contain MeCo near the skin, and probably some Paramo in there somewhere...

Since buying the 250gsm, I noticed that RAB have changed their range a bit, and now they only have 190gsm, 165gsm, and 120gsm. This got me thinking. What weight of base layer do you all use when heading to the frozen north?

J

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
From my point of view, the only thing that matters is that it is good at transporting sweat to the next layer. I regulate warmth by adding/subtracting a layer on top.

My two cents

-7 C here atm...brr...

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Interesting. What layers do you use for your layering system?

It' still floating between 11°-15°C here. I'm hoping we actually get something resembling snow this winter...

J

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Woolpower 200 gm for the base, usually with a woolpower 400 top and occasionally bottoms. Thick cotton trousers from the likes of 5.11 or older M65 trousers, wooly jumper a jacket of some kind have kept me toasty in -30 to -40.

Good socks, mittens and gloves with swap out liners make all the difference too.

:)

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Interesting. What layers do you use for your layering system?

It' still floating between 11°-15°C here. I'm hoping we actually get something resembling snow this winter...

J

It depends on activity a bit, but normally I use

Top: Bamboo base layer, shirt (flanell or Sw. army), fleece jacket, primaloft jacket, Shell jacket/Anorak/Down parka.
Bottom: Bamboo base layer, BDU pants or the like, insulated pants (term?) like xc skiers use
also a Suitable hat, scarf, gloves

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Base layers are a mix of 200g ullfrotte , 400g ullfrotte, buffalo mountain shirt, and my ancient karrimor pertex windshirt
that (with outers) covers everything from sitting Fishing to running around or chopping wood, and of course spares when other stuff is drying

BigX

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2014
England
260g XTM merino base top and bottom (also icebreaker merino boxers, not that you were asking), icebreaker 260g mid-layer, then thick fleece/Fjallraven anorak/down parka depending on temp and/or work-rate/proximity to fire.

The Meco looks good though and worth noting Merino next to skin means you can wear it a lot longer compared to fully synthetic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE