Barn Owl Close Up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Went out to fetch in my wife's horse at about 15.50 this afternoon. Just as I was opening the field gate, I noticed a barn owl quartering down near the hedgerow along one side of the paddock. I stood very still to watch it and held the top latch of the gate to prevent it clanging. The owl came down the long side of the field, then turned at the corner and flew towards me just inside the near hedge. It floated past me at about waist height and no more than 15 feet away. It continued quartering back up the paddock and pounced on something up at the far end. Must have got whatever it was after, because it was down in the grass for half a minute and immediately quit the field when it took off again, though it was too far away for me see for sure.
I've had many close encounters with owls of various species over the years, but it is always a thrill.

Burnt Ash

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Cracking when that happens, isn't it ??

there's one that hunts the field behind my house occasionally.
a couple of times when i've climbed up on the bank to watch it, the owl's done a slow flypast at head height to check me out - gets within about 10 foot of me :D

M

mikehill

While watching foxes at my local NR one of the breeding Bar Owls flew over my shoulder ... I turned my head to see it sat on a fence post less than 6 ft away with it's back to me :eek: Breathing as quiet as possible it stayed there for a good minute before sussing me out. Magical experience that I doubt I'll ever have again :)
The fox cubs brushing against my legs as they negotiated the gate came a close second though ;)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I was reading about farm buildings a few days ago and read that in barns they would traditionally put a owl hole near the roof apex to encourage them to sit there and kill vermin's inside the barn. Why bother with rentokill :D Assumably they learn, hey theres guarantedd meals there every night :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE