Bark River Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Can someone suggest a good strop and compounds I can use to keep the blade in good condition? Something I can keep in my rucksack please (as I will be traveling this coming year)
IMG_6159.jpg

looks nice! any chance of a piccy of the top of the blade (spine) if you get bored :)

Sharpening wise, there are many small double sided strops on a well known auction site, and the compound is cheap enough... a stick of green and leave the other side to finish with just plain leather should do i would have thought.

but if you want something a little special, check these out ;)

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/Complete-Sharpening-Kit-for-Field-or-Home-w-Black-OtterBox

regards, TBL.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
looks nice! any chance of a piccy of the top of the blade (spine) if you get bored :)

Sharpening wise, there are many small double sided strops on a well known auction site, and the compound is cheap enough... a stick of green and leave the other side to finish with just plain leather should do i would have thought.

but if you want something a little special, check these out ;)

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/Complete-Sharpening-Kit-for-Field-or-Home-w-Black-OtterBox

regards, TBL.

Wowee that looks pretty neat. I was thinking of getting a big 'paddle' sized strop but it seems like overkill considering the blade size. I'm buying into it Lebowski! ... Think I might have to order that :O

I tried taking some pics of the spine for ya but it's dark and my phone camera is poor...

spine.jpg

Very stout spine and nice chunky scales. They might call it one of their small knives but it's substancial (but compact) for the size of my hands. Easy to choke up on the blade, or to grip with the handle alone with three fingers. Loving it so far. Was even using it to trim paper as I misplaced my scalpel hehhe

I promise to take some better snaps!

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Snap is perfect bud... Thats one sturdy blade!

Those otter boxes shure are handy, and they come with the BRKT compounds as well as the right grit papers to keep the convex maintained.

Just waiting for payday and one mini-canadan with a matching liten bror heading this way.

Have fun with the sharp, they are real workhorses by all accounts ;)

Regards, TBL.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
They are great knives for meat and soft wood, the edges are so fine they can dent/chip or get rolled quite easily. At least they aren't too hard and they can be stropped back in line.
They are nicely made, very sharp but not my taste.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I read a thread on another forum with someone rolling the edge on a PSK, beyond that not heard anything much on the subject!

It's got quite a good spine for my steel too, MUCH better than my Mora.

I really want to pick up a Fox River Recurve but I just can't justify it with other necessary expenses so I'm just going to have to hold off! *sniff*

Pacman01

Mar 13, 2010
Ireland
If you're still interested in some BRK BumbleBee love there are still a few nice ones to be had...

Knifesupply are the cheapest by far but their shipping is a little higher in price than KSF or T-K-C and they can take a little longer to ship on certain things (3days extra give or take).

http://www.knifesupply.com/eshop/10browse.asp?category=bark%20river%20bumble%20bee%20knives

There are still a few exotics left here as well.
http://www.the-knife-connection.com/bark-river-knives--bumble-bee.html

I've used both companies in the past and found them reliable with good communication all round.

I don't have as many as Michiel but personally I have 2 Bravo I's, a Bravo II, Magnum Fox River, North Star, Woodland Special CTS-XHP & a Little Creek in CTS-40CP. No problems with QC or rolling on any of mine (although as a couple of people have said the pre-Sharpshooter sheathes were below par on finish if you're thinking of buying an older 2nd hand one).

BRK does have a pretty much unconditional lifetime guarantee against damage to the knife (unless you were wearing a hockey mask and went out of your way to bust the knife).

Phil

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Cheers for the heads up. I believe BRK&T will be having another run of bumble bees in the 1st quarter of the new year so I'll probably hold off till then. I've been trying to decide which to buy next, and whether I'd be better off buying a folder - I have my eye on a Michael Morris friction folder with a warncliffe profile.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Cheers for the heads up. I believe BRK&T will be having another run of bumble bees in the 1st quarter of the new year so I'll probably hold off till then. I've been trying to decide which to buy next, and whether I'd be better off buying a folder - I have my eye on a Michael Morris friction folder with a warncliffe profile.

Weeeelll.. update

I HAVE NO SELF CONTROL

I just bought another BRK. Decided I needed a 'proper' knife, a big brother to my MC so to speak..

DSCN1470.jpg

DSCN1471.jpg

DSCN1472.jpg

It's a Liten Bror, in effect a smaller version of the Aurora but with a more bushcrafty grind - it's a 'convex scandi', but as far as I was aware it's called a sabre grind? Ah well, who cares, just look at it ! Two things in particular pushed me over the edge, one being the handle material - it's camel bone - I just love the mottled appearance, the other being the steel - CPM3V - which is like the superman of steels (;)).

What'd'ya think?

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
IMO, the Liten Bror is a very usefull knife :D

That 3V steel is very tough with excellent edge retention and doesn't appear to be prone to rust either.

I hope you enjoy many fine adventures with it.

Kind regards
Mick

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
IMO, the Liten Bror is a very usefull knife :D

That 3V steel is very tough with excellent edge retention and doesn't appear to be prone to rust either.

I hope you enjoy many fine adventures with it.

Kind regards
Mick

It'll be coming with me around Europe. After then who knows. I'm sure it will be my companian for many years to come.

Oooh that's a very nice knife!

Congrats on buying one of the best BRKT knives out there!

Cheers Michiel, I've seen your collection over on BB, glad you think it's one of their best :)

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Arrived a few days ago but had been held by customs. GRRRR. Picked it up this morning. I am very impressed, the balance is lovely and I can't wait to take it out camping! Really poor light so excuse the shoddy photography but don't they make a handsome pair!

handsome.jpg

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Very nice indeedy... :)

Will be ordering the Liten-Bror tue's, Mini Canadan next month. I've been a good boy, so santa said 'why not' LoL!

Enjoy! al.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
You won't be disappointed. May I suggest going to DLT trading, no association blah blah all the rest of it but the chap Jason over there has been very helpful on both my buys - quick delivery, sent me extra pics, and helped me out with a few things - like he gave me my Liten Bror with the B size sheath so it sits a bit deeper than the one it normally comes with.

What scale materials are you going for lebowski?

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Well, I took the plunge last night... I resisted the Liten Bror until chrimbo (self prezzie for being a good boy, kinda!)

I went for Bocote, with red liners as its the nearest i could get to what i wanted. Osage would have been ideal, but i can always pick that in another style. Piccy is just of 'roughly' what it will look like, i didn't want to hastle the guy any more for images of the actual knife, as he had peviously snapped two Liten Bror's for me, and i didn't want to push my luck LoL! The two previous sharps i've viewed where impecable, so i have no worry's buying 'blind' so to speak... Little surprise when it turns up! Coming from The Knife Connection, And Dale's (owner) been very helpful in all fairness but i'll bear DLT in mind for future purchases. TKC do a 5% discount if you request to join it for BRKT sharps, so it pretty much comes with free postage with the $200 knifes.

11kjme8.jpg

I'll post a piccy when it turns up.

P.s how did your import tax on the items turn out, it used to be just a random invoice when i imported before years ago, may have changed since?

Regards, al.

Last edited:

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hello mate, nice knife. Well on my MC I remembered to ask em to mark it gift. The Liten Bror I was stung with a 28£ charge, the robbing bards. Well worth it tho :D:D

You're gonna love the Minicandian btw its' such a deceptive knife. The handle is so meaty - the rear measurements match the liten bror, but because the handle only effectly goes up 3 fingers and you have the shrink in the grips 'waist' around your second it really lets you choke up nicely, but are still able to go back and use it as a 3 finger knife and have your fingers well clear for heavy work (could easily batton with this thing). Such a perfect sized blade. I've been eating my dinners with it...

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
LoL @ eating dinners... your talking to a man that lives out of a titanium pot with his spork these days :) home and hammock.

I'm shure i really am going to like it, as mentioned earlier, its the one blade (other than the Liten Bror) that i just kept coming back to. Had an e-mail earlier saying its been dispatched, so now the long, long wait... I'm also beginning a new love affair with the Golok. God knows what i would use one for, but i find myself staring at the pictures of them every time i'm on some BRKT related site.

I think i may purchase one in the new year, whatever the heck you did manage to do with one, it would be sooo much fun!

atb, al.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE