Bargain Bushy kit for under £20...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Hi All,

Not sure if this has been done before (a search didnt really bring anything up) and sorry if ive posted in the wrong place but what bargain bushcraft kit have you managed to find new for say under £20 per item. Items that might help someone new to the hobby?

Things like:

Mora Clipper - £8 / £9 (web)
Tesco LED torch AA or C cell - £10 / £12 respectively
Builders tarp - £10 (ish)
Energizer LED head light - £7.50 (Sainsburys)
Sleeping bag - ...
Kit bag - ...
Axe - ...
Cooking - ...

Any mileage in this?

ATB, Jon.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
if i were u i would get a better tarp. you can get an ex army tarp for under £20 if u shop around and it will be so much better, well worth it in the long run.

i would go for an AA torch over a C cell to cut down on weight and size but C cells will have a longer battery life. you dont reely need a headtorch aswell.

you can get an ex army bag under £20, 58 patten bags are very warm and have an inbuilt groundsheet so u shouldnt get wet under a tarp but they are heavy.

axe, first question have u got a saw? a saw is much safer and efficient than an axe especialy for beginers. if u do want an axe look around car boots sales you can get one for as little as 50p, dont bet put off if its a bit rusty, nothing a bit of sand paper and a good sharpen cant fix.

there are hundreds of diferent cooking systems, way too many for me to list lol the most bushcraft is i hobo stove which can burn prety much everything.

pete

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Swedish Army trangia is usually about a tenner -- a pot and lid/cup/pan which can be used over a stove or fire, meths bottle, meths burner and wind-break.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Pound shop for torches and batteries.. ;) and indeed other items like small hand towels, plastic plates and cutlery. Fishing rods, catapults and other items can be bought there too. BnQ you can get blue builders tarps for around 3 or 4 quid, not the best by far, but if you are areally on a budget then better than nothing. Of course Argos and even supermarkets sell cheapo tents for around a tenner, which may not be up to winter camping but in decent weather, they'll last a trip or two I would think.

Nag.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Being Scottish this appeals to me
I think there was a previous thread bushcraft on a budget or something like that
The Swedish army Trangias are brilliant value for money
British Army Hexamine burners are also good kit
Instead of a Crusader mug the Dutch army one is good value I got mine with bottle and insulated cover for £4.99
For kit bags a used long back Bergan with side pouches is the way to go-you will be lucky to get that for under £20 though but the Swedish army 40 litre rucksaks are amazing value

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-Army-Surplus

supply these items at good prices
no connection at all just a very satisfied customer

I also notice some other European army bags on e bay at reasonable prices

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=88

are also very good and they do a half wool base layer which is just the job in the winter months
Hope this helps

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Its a while back (maybe a year or so) but I remember a couple of people posted up kit they had bought from charity shops. With a little imagination it was amazing what could be adapted to fit different needs. One guy got all he needed for a night out for less than a tennner! I make alot of my own equipment now and much of my inspiration has come from this site.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Have to agree with Moko - make your own is the way to go,
not only do you save money, but you loose the mentality of having to buy new gear when the original becomes damaged - you simply modify it into something else or repair it.
I've made billies from biscuit tins
Stoves from all manner of metal tubing
Meths burners from coke cans
hammock insulation from duvets
A shoulder bag from an old satchel
belts from paracord and machine drive belts
Buckles from copper and brass bar
Star clocks and moon compass' from copper pipe
Favourites recently are a pair of knives from a pair of hedge clippers

Its a little confusing, as far as I know I'm thoroughbred Welsh, but there must be a throwback to a Scots gene deep in my history :cool:

ATB

Ogri the trog

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
OH, fun

I like this sort of thing......mind you, my Grandfather was a Yorkshire man :)

Let me try and find some stuff in my bookmarks

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
axe sorted

In a similar vein....
One is a Cegga special which cost £40 plus
The other cost £2.99, a replacement haft and half an hour with an angle grinder......

IMG_2160.jpg

ATB

Ogri the trog

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Poundshop fishing rods are certainly perfectly usable:

knoydart139.jpg

but Poundshop batteries are a bit more questionable. Which? tested the unknown-brand pondshop batteries and they were found to have very poor capacity, often running equipment for just a few minutes.

The Swedish army Trangia weighs 1.2kg with fuel and is a bit slow, but in all other respects is near perfect. For UK use you need a stove when fires are not feasible, but you need pots suitable for the fire when it is. The Swedish cookset fits the bill nicely.

Pendleton wool shirts (£15-£20 from US ebay, used) are superb kit.

British army leather gloves, circa a fiver, far superior to anything under £30 new.

Disposable cigarette lighters- in my view far more reliable than the jet flame types, and cost pennies.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Poundshop fishing rods are certainly perfectly usable:...

but Poundshop batteries are a bit more questionable. Which? tested the unknown-brand pondshop batteries and they were found to have very poor capacity, often running equipment for just a few minutes...

Thanks for letting us know that those rods actually work okay. To be fair I think it should be pointed out that you only get the rod for a quid, you still need to buy the reel, line, hooks and all that. At least the ones I've saw around here need the extra stuff bought anyway.

The torches I've got from there have been fine, both the cap lights and small aluminium, while not the greatest build quality in the world, have worked pretty much just like any other torch. Both I've used for several hours and not a problem.

While I use the pound shops batteries, I wouldn't recommend them for much other than non essential things or emergency. Although they may be brand names, they are not the same ones as you buy out say Tesco's or the like. Life span of these batteries is much lower.

Nag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE