Barbour Wax Jacket Northumbria V Beaufort

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ruger_red

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2009
Merseyside
Hi,
I've wanted a wax jacket for ages and just bought a northumbria privately. However it arrived today and is not the size quoted. I'm going to have to return it but starting to have doubts as to whether to go for the shorter and midweight beaufort or another alternative. Really like some feedback as to peoples preferred jacket. I'm a size 42" and fairly short 5'8".

Many thanks

Myles

Last edited:

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I have both since more than 15 years.
Apart from lenght and different fabric-weight the major difference is the cut in the shoulders.
Northumbria has set-in sleeves, while Beaufort has a raglan-style.
The former is roomier in the shoulders than the latter, for a given size.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Not sure what you mean Ruger, but they do a jacket called the bushman, in both heavyweight(12oz) and a lightweight(6oz) cotton, so you don't have to buy the stockman.
I've got the heavyweight, and "the boss" has the lightweight one. Best prices are from hartings.co.nz very fast and efficient service, just remember to order a size larger than you normaly take.

Also try Backhouse coats, they are now owned by by barbour, the last one i got(i've 2 aswell as the drizabone)came with barbour buttons.

Rob

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
Ruger,

I share the same, perfect height and size as you and have had a midweight beaufort for 6 years and it has served me proud. It has had alot of abuse and still looks great. I prefer the shorter length as it does not impead my movement when out and about or when shooting.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I like the feel of a longer coat, it gives you something to sit on and keeps the things in your trouser pockets protected from the elements. The zip can be zipped up from the bottom , to make movement that bit easier.

JT

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
I,ve an old Barbour Northumbria and its heavy and long, it,s also got it,s place.
If I wanted something shorter in wax I would go for a wee patridge.
If I was to buy a new Barbour though , I would buy a Barbour Solway.

Phil

Last edited:

Blackshuck

Apr 29, 2007
Suffolk / Cambs border
I've got a Northumbria, It's 15 years old and lives in the garage. This time of year its as stiff as a board, and very cold to wear without plenty of layers beneath. There's nothing more robust though for backing through a thorn hedge in a day long downpour. Beats synthetics every time. Had a Solway before that, just as hard wearing but didnt have any handwarmer pockets which was frustrating. For open country walking , shooting, I wear a John Partridge goretex shooting coat which has stood up to 15 years of hard use and is easily washed and with a rinse in nikewax still beads up a treat. Not as tough as the Barbour, but it has stood up to some rough treatment over the years.
My "posh" coat is a Rohan Countrywide, bought a year ago, its a soft feel cotton mix with a laminate membrane and a zip in quilted gilet. Very versatile and quiet, I wouldn't try to push through a hedge in it though.

David

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
I had been after a wax-cotton jacket for some time too.
I was lucky enough to get a Barbour Dunelm (hooded) jacket at a good discount just before the weather changed for the worse (loads of rain followed by cold and snow - AKA winter).
For a typical cold and wet British winter this jacket over a good jumper etc is ideal for rough use in the woods etc.
BUT I don’t feel it really breathes so you may get steamed up in it if you use it for energetic activities. However if I had to take just one jacket for winter use (without the option of any poncho etc as back-up), this would probably be it.

Last edited:

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
AAcchhh, I had to buy a wee patridge today its a stoater.Northumbria for the graft, patridge for the craft.

ps
ta nice nudge

phil

ruger_red

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2009
Merseyside
Thanks for all the replies. Had a look in TKMAX today and bought a John Partridge gun dog wax jacket. Great fit and delighted with it. Not sure about a rrp of £265 but happy with £90. Also had some nice Musto and Craghopper jackets if anyone is interested.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE