Bannock (Again)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Quite a while ago I rang up to order something off Ray Mears' site and had a Bannock suggested to me using beer instead of water...might have been called a Scottish or Scotsmans Bannock (but equally this could be a red herring).

Has anyone tried this?

Not a crimson fish at all Mang,
Otherwise known as "Beer Bread" and is almost on equal terms at some meet-ups, the yeast of the beer causing the mix to rise. Curiously though, not so many folk remember the recipe... a bit for me and a bit for the bread, and another bit for me and a brit for the bed, then ano-hic-ther for me and the bread for the bit and an other for for me and so on.
Just replace the water part of the recipe with beer.

ATB

Ogri the trog

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I use beer when I make up batter, works a treat. I use Stella Artois, for some reason I always seem to have a can I can use;) and the gas/bubbles turn out a very light and fluffy batter, works well with Yorkshire pud as well :)

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
i made some bannock for the first time today..went crispy on the outside and tasted excellent with maple syrup...qualty..atb allan

Watching some Ray Mears and seeing all this bannock talk got me hungry so decided to see what I could rustle up with what I had kicking around the house. Never having tasted bannock before I wasnt sure what to expect and needless to say I was wary as to what I might come up with.
The mix I made was
1/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup porridge oats
Small handfull of raisins
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
pinch of salt
and finally a tablespoon of honey.
and water to mix.
I dug my old grannies girdle out of the back of the cupboard and sparked up the gas.
And gently cooked with a smear of butter.
The taste was amazing! I half expected a dry tasteless biscuit type thing or a doughy nan bread type affair. Not a moist tasty delight I would of taken a photo but it got scoffed as soon as it cooled enough to eat. Next time I will be upping the amounts and making a bigger version! and hopefully be cooking it outside!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE