Ban on crossbows

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Maybe ban all things that have been used as weapons? and once we do and find are self's some when akin to the dark ages they can lord over us with draconian rule.....thinking on it maybe we are there already :O_O:

Reactions: Arya and CLEM

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
The genie of technology will not go back into the bottle. If history teaches us anything it is that for for every prohibition and regulation then human ingenuity will find legal loophole or covert workaround.

For example.. is this Marcel Burri creation a crossbow or a slingshot?
post-58-1138130663.jpg

Reactions: Ascobis
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
The genie of technology will not go back into the bottle. If history teaches us anything it is that for for every prohibition and regulation then human ingenuity will find legal loophole or covert workaround.

For example.. is this Marcel Burri creation a crossbow or a slingshot?
View attachment 49077
Agreed, many martial art's weapons came from tools lower class's could carry, you can ban a weapon but not the will.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Playing devils advocate for a moment, I assume no one would like any firearm to be legal and unlicensed in the uk? If so, then doesn't it seem reasonable that a powerful crossbow or other bow is licensed? After all, a quick google suggests more crime is committed with a cross bow than, say, a muzzle loading shotgun but the latter is licensed.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
There doesn't seem to be any appetite here to license long bows or cross bows or even SCUBA diver's spear guns or Hawaiian Slings, for that matter.
What's next? Fish hooks?

Do not tell PETA about fish hooks, please!

When I fished in sweet water, unless I targeted ‘eating’ fish, I used barbless hooks. Carbon.

I have a closet PETA gene.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
People Eating Tasty Animals.
I've never seen a crossbow rigged for fishing but I suppose it wouldn't be too tricky.

I've fished with a compound bow and Muzzy fish arrows (solid aluminum), a single spring wire barb and a reel of 400 lb braided line.
Hit a 30-pounder and it's backwards waterskiing = the fish tows the boat. Chunked, brined and heavily smoked.
Pointless to shoot them for fun, they can smash everything in the bottom of the boat. Bit of 2" gas pipe for anesthetic is good.

They are "buffalo" fish. Related to carp. A school of a thousand fish is mostly 20-40 pounders.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Had to look that fish up!

Search Google how carp fish is prepared in eastern Europe.
I like them fried, with Austrian potato salad.
Also ‘Al la Blue’ which is a stupid translation. Gently cooked in a vinegary liquid, herbs and spices, then left to cool in the liquid.
Think Jellied Eels.

Smoked is delish too!

Many if not most people in Europe do not eat fresh water fish.
Except trout.

They do not know what they are missing!

I do not think crossbow fishing is legal in UK?

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I like watching bow fishing ... all bikinis and iced-down Yetis

Do a youtube search - bow fishing jumping carp (a pastime that will probably get to Canada sometime soon, RV) :lol:

For carp eating, what you really need is a deli

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The Buffalo fish hang in the weed choked back bays with their dorsal fins in the air. 20-40 lb fish.
They wiggle that fin, you can see it 50 yards away. No idea what that means.
Motor up-breeze 50 yards and lift the motor. The boat goes sideways to drift.
The shooter quietly gets up on the front deck. The fish don't move! Nock an arrow, draw the bow and get ready.
You drift down on them, pick a fish and the shot is basically straight down so the water refraction is no big deal at all.
Then the fight is on. Field dress them with a hand saw. This is not finesse fishing.

I think that a crossbow with a reel would be a lot more compact that the typical compound bow with the pulleys.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
BTW Billy-o, Those big fish are a hazard. Jumping carp hurt, so I'm told.
I knew some guys that did a lot of canoe racing on the Fraser River..
One guy got drilled by a 30#+ Spring salmon, broke a few of his ribs.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Its true, you see the stories often. It takes quite the explosive shove to launch a 20lb fish 30 feet through the air. Something similar I kind of dread is getting hit by a 15yr old kid mid jump on a slightly out of control snowboard. Those things are heavy and going fast too

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Umbrellas. Magazines. Neckties. Automobiles. Bottles. Cups. Socks. Coins. Forks, butter knives, and spoons. Crockery. Pillows. Hatpins. Safety pins. Sewing pins. Rolling pins...

"Aganst stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain." --Friedrich Schiller

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
While crossbows remain unregulated here, the British Columbia hunting regulations set out the performance minimum for 4 different
classes of crossbow, compound and long bow for hunting. Draw weight, bolt/arrow weight, arrow head dimensions seem the main issues.
If your equipment performs above the minimum, so much the better.
Crossbows for bison are in a class all by themselves. There's a message in that. More money than brains.

Chomp

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2018
Round the back skivving
Banged on about it before, if you want to save lives, stop children who aren't considered mature enough to buy a packet of cigarettes from driving. We allow people to operate deadly machinery from quite an early age and never retest them.

Reactions: Samon and Ascobis

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
While crossbows remain unregulated here, the British Columbia hunting regulations set out the performance minimum for 4 different
classes of crossbow, compound and long bow for hunting. Draw weight, bolt/arrow weight, arrow head dimensions seem the main issues.
If your equipment performs above the minimum, so much the better.
Crossbows for bison are in a class all by themselves. There's a message in that. More money than brains.

I can understand and agree with fine-tuning the regulations. Ethics, meet Physics. Physics, this is Ethics. Let's work together.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE