Baker tents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
The zipper belongs into the middle of the sleeping bag, it doesn't matter if hammock, bivvy bag or Baker tent!

The best system for a hammock is to have an underquilt underneath and then an open sleeping bag as a top quilt. You leave the foot end of the sleeping bag zipped up enough to make a foot box that you put your feet in and then you tuck the sides of the bag around your shoulders, hips etc to avoid coldspots and drafts. That way you can move about in the hammock and also regulate temperature much better. No point in zipping it up all the way!

Reactions: Erbswurst

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Unfortunately Bill Mason's book is now out of print but here is a copy of the page showing the different Baker Tent pitches (copyright Bill Mason):

View attachment 63228

If you meant an Oztent link, it's here:

OZTENT Ltd
Thank you for that mate, much appreciated. I’ve always fancied a Baker Tent meself.
Those Oztents do look the business, out of my current budget mind but they soo look a grand piece of kit for sure.

bearbait

If you want to have a play with the Baker Tent style you can emulate one using the Adirondac Windshed tarp pitch, using a square tarp. You can't close the front off completely as is, but a smaller additional tarp would assist in that.

I use a 4m square DD Hammock in that form as a day shelter / kitchen area. If its cool I rig a foil blanket on the sloping wall to reflect the fire's warmth back to me. I've also been thinking of having a go turning it into a Mors Super Shelter / Harlton Hacienda as a project to while away the hours during the occasional Lockdown.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
We have the RV-3 which has a footprint of 2.4 x 2m in the main tent. We also have the full set of side panels which doubles that space for living area. It's only two of us sleeping in it though we have camped with two of the grandchildren in with us.

View attachment 63226
That is a cosy looking set up. I like it. It's just occured to me that it would be possible to create a baker style 'add on' to all manner of tents with two or three or more 2 by 2 tarps. I sense a project coming on.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Adirondac Windshed tarp pitch, using a square tarp
I spent a couple of hours today messing around with different enclosed pitches and pyramids resulting in a very wet and muddy tarp - didn't try the adirondac though, I'll give that one a go tomorrow. There's a chap on YouTube called papahiker who creates all manner of implausible looking pitches. But they work and with a bit of practice they turn out to be very stable and very livable too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE