Baker tents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I love the look of 'em, always have done and I was just watching a nice review of the onetigris tigersden. I've never owned a bakertent personally, but notice on reviews and pictures that the awnings are always pitched straight across, horizontally. Doesn't this pool rainwater? I'd have thought pitching the awning at an angle to shed the rain would be more weather proof, or do they cope better with rain than I'm imagining?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Take a look at how Bill Mason demonstrates pitching the Campfire Tent (Baker Tent) in "Song of the Paddle"; he shows a number of pitching configurations depending on the weather including sloping the canopy.

My current overland 'trekking' tent is an Oztent - very similar to a Baker tent but with an integral 'quick-pitch' frame.

Reactions: Suffolkrafter

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
There I was thinking I'd come across every possible tent out there! If I ever need to replace the existing family tent it will be with something similar. Our Coleman mosedale is fine but does lack imagination.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
I had the same idea over summer and so purchased the Onetigris tigersden.
IMG_3012.JPG
This is how it looks on a calm sunny day in the garden.
IMG_3044.JPG
This is what happens when wet and windy in a Welsh woodland. Luckily we had packed a couple of extra tarps, the top one to keep it from blowing away and stop the leaking.
So in conclusion ok for fine sunny weather. Did get our money back and still have tent but no longer have trust in it.
Hope this helps in your choice.
Riven.

Reactions: Billy-o

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Now that is a worthwhile review! Looks like that tent took a bit of a beating. If a tent can't withstand rain I don't think it is fulfilling it's purpose. Mind you we had some horrensous camping weather over the summer, winds strong enough to blow the tent flat to the ground. It mostly regained it's shape between gusts but I did suffer a split pole.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
How big a tent do you have for how many people?
Take a look at how Bill Mason demonstrates pitching the Campfire Tent (Baker Tent) in "Song of the Paddle"; he shows a number of pitching configurations depending on the weather including sloping the canopy.

My current overland 'trekking' tent is an Oztent - very similar to a Baker tent but with an integral 'quick-pitch' frame.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge

Links please?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
When I first went camping for a week on an island in the Adriatic sea, I realised that not all camping is created equal. We don't even put the rainfly on the tent anymore, sleeping next to the sea in high summer in just the inner of a tent is pure, pure bliss.
Exactly. In some places you’d spend time and effort trying to create sufficient shade and airflow, or find somewhere not full of sharp things to pitch it on.

It’s like how there are very few hammock videos where the ground is as soggy and wet as in the woods I tend to visit. :)

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
Exactly. In some places you’d spend time and effort trying to create sufficient shade and airflow, or find somewhere not full of sharp things to pitch it on.

It’s like how there are very few hammock videos where the ground is as soggy and wet as in the woods I tend to visit. :)
You'd think that would be prime hammock landscape

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
You'd think that would be prime hammock landscape
It is, in a way. That and the blocky terrain is what got me thinking of hammocks in the first place. But then you try to figure out how other people deal with setting up camp when it’s all wet and mucky and they say things like ”I like to stand in my sleeping bag before getting into the hammock”...

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
It is, in a way. That and the blocky terrain is what got me thinking of hammocks in the first place. But then you try to figure out how other people deal with setting up camp when it’s all wet and mucky and they say things like ”I like to stand in my sleeping bag before getting into the hammock”...
brilliant

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The zipper belongs into the middle of the sleeping bag, it doesn't matter if hammock, bivvy bag or Baker tent!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE