Backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 20, 2015
UK
I'm looking for a new backpack.
Did the West Highland Way the other week and my current one tore my shoulders and back up. Currently Gossamer G4, although I've been through several, one before was osprey . Got broad shoulders and find the width of all packs I've tried to small. Shoulder straps are pulled outwards and tend to twist onto their side and then dig in, and also the straps rub on the side of the torso, basically need a wider bag, but so far haven't found anything.

Looking for around 55litres. Weight is around 17kilos with consumables, need to carry 7 days of food (hoping to do John Muir trail in USA next year).

So was wondering if anyone could recommend any backpacks, or even better a reputable shop that can talk me through, measure me up and try some on. Or even a UK based custom made pack supplier. Might work out cheaper than buying a new pack after each hike as I'm unhappy with them.

Got the rest of my gear pretty much as I want other than some clothing upgrades for weight saving.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
Would you consider the Lowe Alpine Sting? Seems very popular and if you can find one, and they are out there for the looking, it should be inexpensive. They are 55+20 I believe and are indestructable. Nothing fancy, just simple, robust and all the stuff you need. The down side of them is that they are heavy and usually only come in cammo colour schemes. Black (there's someone on ebay doing them for about £120 at present) and green are available but are rare and tend to be expensive. They look like this

http://www.xmilitarystore.com/en/lowe-alpine-sting-backback

Not to the taste of all but worth considering.

rg598

Native
If you've had a problem with a wide range of packs, and seems like you've had some good ones, try a pack from a manufacturer that has more option on their packs. For example Gregory packs (at least a year or two back) have many adjustment points for the straps; you can change angles, height, position, etc. That way you can fit it to your frame. Such packs will be heavier, but it may be worth it.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Exped Lightning 60 maybe?

How effective is the hip belt of the various packs you've used? Most of your weight should be on the hip belt, and the shoulder straps are just there to stop it tilting backwards.

J

Jul 20, 2015
UK
If you've had a problem with a wide range of packs, and seems like you've had some good ones, try a pack from a manufacturer that has more option on their packs. For example Gregory packs (at least a year or two back) have many adjustment points for the straps; you can change angles, height, position, etc. That way you can fit it to your frame. Such packs will be heavier, but it may be worth it.

These look very good, don't suppose you know if there's any uk suppliers so I can go try one. As there website doesn't show any uk stockists.

Archaul

If you speak with Zpacks they will customise the pack to how ever you want

Trouble is and with other custom places they're in the US, don't mind spending the money if it sorts the issue, but would rather have them see me and measure me in person. Zimmerbuilt actually have done a pack that looks near perfect, would only need small modal to outside pockets and then correct sizing but same problem in the states.
http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/zb1---mahan.html

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Trouble is and with other custom places they're in the US, don't mind spending the money if it sorts the issue, but would rather have them see me and measure me in person. Zimmerbuilt actually have done a pack that looks near perfect, would only need small modal to outside pockets and then correct sizing but same problem in the states.
http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/zb1---mahan.html

Unless you have medical problems or are built like Dorian Yates the shoulder pad widths shouldn't really need much adjustment.

You say the shoulder straps are pulled outwards.
That to me sounds like the pack you've got isn't adjusted correctly.
Reason i say that is the shoulders should take very little of the packs weight, if the pack is adjusted correctly then most the weight should be taken by the waist strap and hips.

Some packs have load lifting straps that can be adjusted, bringing the pack tighter to your back will help stop the shoulder straps pulling.

For me personally i tend to put my pack on, lean forwards so the pack shifts up my back, cinch the waist strap really tight, then adjust the shoulder straps so they are very very slightly loose, i'll then tighten the sternum strap till i have the chest straps in the right position.
Depending on the bag i'll then find i have to retighen the waist strap a few times throughout the day.

Another thing worth considering is how you pack your rucksack.
Heavy items near the top of the rucksack make things noticeably more uncomfortable, ideally i want my most used items near the top, as i don't want to empty my rucksack every time i want some food i tend to keep my main food in the bottom of the rucksack and just put that days food nearer the top.

I'm not surprised the G4 felt uncomfortable at that weight, you really want a framed pack to help transfer the weight to your hips.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE