Back to the Lakes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Thanks the reply mate. The getting in and out malarkey does put me off somewhat, it looks good though

I'll have to ask other trail star owners

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks the reply mate. The getting in and out malarkey does put me off somewhat, it looks good though

It's a doddle really, you do get some wetness on your back if the inside is covered in condensation but I do as Mat says, my polycryo groundsheet is cut long enough that I can kneel on it to get in and out. You soon get the hang of it, it's no harder than a small tent like a Laser or Akto, the plus points of the TS far out weigh the negatives.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire

I know I've only used it the once so far but first impressions were very good. I wouldn't let the getting in/out put you off. As mentioned above, in some ways I actually found it better/easier than getting in to my Laser Comp, as there's so much room once in there that you can get yourself in and out of the rain and avoid getting wet/muddy stuff all over your sleeping area/kit.

What a fantastic looking trip. Thanks for sharing; very jealous.

Russ

Thank you, I had a great time, i'm still going through the photo's!

IMG_0993-Edit.jpg

Hoping to get back to the Lakes a week on Monday

Matt

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I've never had a problem with my JETBOIL SOL Ti :) I cook right next to the centre pole though so plenty of clearance, not that the JETBOIL SOL Ti kicks out much wasted heat though, it all gets concentrated on the base of the pot. I've used alcohol burners in there too without any probs.

It's nice to be able to get a brew on whilst still in your sleeping bag on the cold mornings.

I crumbled and have just ordered one

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
...not that the JETBOIL SOL Ti kicks out much wasted heat though, it all gets concentrated on the base of the pot....

You weren't kidding were you! I've just given it a quick test in the kitchen, very impressed, pretty much all the heat hits the pot with hardly any being wasted, and a rolling boil in less than 2 mins!

Just a shame I have to hand it over to be wrapped and put under the tree now that the 'essential test' has been done.

Thanks again for the info

Matt

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good stuff Matt, they're a great choice when you want fast, reliable and a compact package.

I'd almost talked myself into taking my Bushbuddy Ultra and Mini Atomic on the TGO, they're fine for playing around at weekends but on longer trips in mixed weather I think it's hard to beat the JBs.

We need to get together sometime to get geeky about kit :)

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
The trial & tribulations of Xmas presents! I've got the same issue when my under quilt arrives!

Ooooh, which one have you gone for?

Good stuff Matt, they're a great choice when you want fast, reliable and a compact package.

I'd almost talked myself into taking my Bushbuddy Ultra and Mini Atomic on the TGO, they're fine for playing around at weekends but on longer trips in mixed weather I think it's hard to beat the JBs.

We need to get together sometime to get geeky about kit :)

I love the Evernew DX setup I have but I'm wary of using it under the Trailstar as the flames tend to travel up the side of the pot quite a lot. I guess this could be reduced with a wider pot but this would make it even more top heavy which wont do anything for its stability. Plus there's always the risk of a meths spillage and ensuing fireball! The Jetboil seems like a safer option to me, and I can't argue with 12L of water boiled with one 100g cannister, looks to have served you well on your TGO Challenge.

A get together sounds like a plan to me, I fear it may end up costing me lots of money in future purchases though!

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE