Back to freedom

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
I am actually rather worried. The anxiety attacks sound quite significant, and are something that should be treated rather than used as justification for a rather extreme lifestyle change. Nihilist mate, go along to your GP and explain about the anxiety, and maybe get a referral to someone who can help you get to the root of the problem.

This is what I was previously trying to highlight, but not knowing the man didn't like to assume to much. Running away rarely ever makes it better.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Hi guys fought id check in.Has anyone had snow yet? Not a drop here, wish it would get colder here as everything keeps freezing and melting.May have made a slight oversight by only bringing a 2 litre bottle for water, should have brought 5 litres at leastBack to work on the 22nd unless the world ends so I'll hopefully get some pics up.Cheers

Ps

Is anyone aware of that shelter that uses clear plastic sheeting to essentially create a greenhouse? I believe its associated with kochanski.

I'm no science buff but as I understand it a greenhouse works because longwave radiation from the sun enters turns to shortwave radiation and can't get back out? If that's right I can't understand how kochanskis shelter works, from the YouTube clip I seen it on it appeared that it was completely covered and was warmed by a fire on the outside? If its heated via a fire which as far as im aware is shortwave radiation it would be unable to enter in the first place.

The only way I could see it working would be to have a large opening with a small fire in front, the shortwave radiation enters but can't escape through the back, given heats characteristic of going to a colder place it would feel less inclined to exit via the opening where the point of highest heat is situated if this is right then the rules of thermal mass and insulation apply.

Be grateful if someone could clear this one up for me, maybe the colds gone to my head and im hallucinating about " super shelters" lol

Cheers

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :)
We got some the first time round, then it poured, then it froze and then it poured some more. There are still patches on the greens but the pavements are treacherous in some bits. Typical Winter weather really; sodden, cold and occasionally frozen solid. Supposedly Arctic winds coming in to hit us in the next few days.

A collapsable bucket might be of more use if you're gathering where there's no tap to fill one of the big water carriers.

cheers,
Toddy

leon-1

I think your time should be split between the two, sometime indoors and sometime in the woods. We used to do week on week off in the Antarctic (South Georgia), I couldn't wait to get back out again, but It's always good to have a place to get your admin sorted or retreat to when you need to.

It also gives a level of security.

Beds and furniture can be overrated, I haven't used a bed on a regular basis for years (I don't have one at home), but it's worth having other amenities, washing machine, cooker and fridge / freezer. A large table comes in handy as I also work on projects a lot. It's also nice to have a warm shower to get the heat back in your bones when you need to.

Yeah the super shelter is an idea of Mors's. Effectively a bender covered in plastic with a raised bed at the back built into the framework of the shelter. Not 100% sure how the super shelter works, but if you think that it's to do with radiation. Quite correctly you mention that some wavelengths will pass through the plastic imparting heat to any object that can absorb it.

Think along the lines of IR will pass through what appears to be a solid black screen, but it will reflect off a human body or how white light passes through a window, but won't pass through some thing that appears to be black (things appear to be black when the light wavelengths (radiation of a form) that hit it are absorbed and not reflected).

Last edited:

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
Regarding the plastic shelter, there was a post on here i believe about a russian guy who was out in winter and he had some interesting ideas. People over on bushcraftUSA actually talked about it too and the russian guy somehow found out and started talking to them in broken English, it was a very interesting read.
http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/48828-Russian-winter-camping

If you click the first link it takes you to the russian website where he make a shelter from plastic in freezing conditions. He had a stove inside tho to keep warm. I think if you have a stove it will help you a lot! Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Hey folks, thought id give a wee update.Aside from when I've been working, I've had the joy of sleeping in fields and parks simply because its often simpler just to crash anywhere moderately comfortable than looking for a remote spot, been crashing at friends houses for 5 or 6 days in that time to recharge.Due to what I'll term a minor annoyance i now have 3 months to leave Britain, this is because when I turned 18 I applied to renounce my citzenship because I was not a citzen of anyothet country this was refused, so I basically applied for citzenship to any country that could possibly be sympathetic to my cause. Now I've been awarded citzenship of " another country" I've got 3 months to leave and during the meantime im not entitled to any of the benifits of being a citzen im scarewed, this country that im a citzen of now doesn't have an embassy in Britain which is an extreme annoyance.Oh well, could be worse.

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
I don't understand. Are you a British national? If not, how can you not be a citizen of another country? Aka, wherever you were born. I am a little confused, maybe you could explain it a little more.
Hope you are doing well, the weather has been terrible for the most part.. i can't imagine roughing it at this time of the year.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I don't understand. Are you a British national? If not, how can you not be a citizen of another country? Aka, wherever you were born. I am a little confused, maybe you could explain it a little more.
Hope you are doing well, the weather has been terrible for the most part.. i can't imagine roughing it at this time of the year.

I'm still a British citzen, if I accept citzenship of the place that's willing to take me then my application for renunciation would be completed and id no longer be a British citzen and would in all probability be immediately deported from the UK, but I have 3 months to decide if in want to complete the process which im almost certainly not going to do.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I'm still a British citzen, if I accept citzenship of the place that's willing to take me then my application for renunciation would be completed and id no longer be a British citzen and would in all probability be immediately deported from the UK, but I have 3 months to decide if in want to complete the process which im almost certainly not going to do.

Which country accepted your citizenship application?

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Unless it's somewhere ridiculous like Sealand, I can't think of any country that would NOT have a UK diplomatic mission that I would want to have anything whatsoever to do with.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Souinds like youthful political ideology running up against the grey face of political reality! Listen to Tengu's post above, nihilist. You REALLY don't want to do something you'll regret for the rest of your life.

As for the "the grass is greener on the other side of the hill" - don't believe everything you read in political treatises. I've worked on 6 continents and in several dozens of countries of all political and religious types and creeds, and there's relatively very few I'd be happy emigrating to, having seen them from the inside out. There are honourable exceptions of course, but all of these have Embassies in the UK!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
^ wise words there.

I'm not sure what you have against the UK, young nihilist. I grew up in Australia, came to the UK when I got itchy feet (aged 22). Found more freedom in the UK than in Australia and stayed.

Just think about how you are living atm. Working offshore, then you can come back and go wherever you like, no need to prove 'fixed abode'. You'd be arrested and locked up for that in a lot of countries.

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
Sorry, i read this at the wrong time of night. I never noticed that you said you applied to renounce your citzenship. What made you decide to do that? Surely if you wish to move to another country, having duel citizenship would be a much better idea? Also, if you don't want to accept the offer on the table then they can't really send you off packing if you were born here so i wouldn't worry about that too much.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sorry, i read this at the wrong time of night. I never noticed that you said you applied to renounce your citzenship. What made you decide to do that? Surely if you wish to move to another country, having duel citizenship would be a much better idea?......

Not sure where he's wanting to move. But some countries don't allow dual citizenship. You have to renounce your old before they'll naturalize you.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
the property thing reminds me of a joke:

Jamaica,
a fella is laying on the beach eating banana.
American comes buy, sees the poor guy and gives him an advice:
let me tell you this, I give you ten dollars, go buy yourself a fishing rod.
In this way ou will be able to catch some fish. Then you should sell them an buy a net.
When you can afford a net and you should catch even more fish, sell them, buy a boat, hire some people.
Work hard and in 20 years you'll have your business established, you will then be able to afford yourself laying on a beach and eating a banana and doing nothing...

saying that, I think only good investment today is land. a piece of land can feed you for very little effort, can be rented or retreated to. It is expensive, but will only get more expensive in the future. Some land grants you with a little independance, so if you can make some money, make sure you invest it vise. anyway, I admire what you want to do and I think you should be successfull. If you come around Lithuania I can provide with plenty of space for living for free.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Since our correspondent is `Offshore` that means he wishes to go where there is Oil...

Only country I know of that doesnt allow dual citizenship is India, but im sure there are many more.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

If you receive citizenship of another country that does not allow, or discourages dual citizenship you are in no danger of being immediately deported from the UK, although if you hang around long enough they will give you a push. If something goes wrong with your application or you decide to not accept the citizenship offer then you will simply get your UK citizenship back. There are 'stateless' people in this world but you won't end up being one, short of running of to Somalia to train as a Jihadi anyway.

My kids have dual citizenship, they have never been to the UK and may never do, who knows, my wife has dual citizenship with yet another country, it happens, lots of people do it, why burn your bridges? Maybe you should look for another country, one that will let you hang on to that UK passport?

Wow.

So, you’re proposing to give up your lodgings, and move to an outdoor location in January in Scotland with 8 hides (4 prepared and 4 unprepared) and you will just fashion those into a teepee when you get there?

Everything else aside, this has to be one of the more worrying aspects of this thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE