Axe mask

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Finally got some cheap tools together and made a mask for my hults axe
e18be694842d7d366bf45af9cb2f1780.jpg

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
I got some cheapo chinese pricking irons and a stitch groover and they helped with the stitching. Turned a burnisher out of plum wood on the lathe which helped smooth the edges.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I use cheap chinese pricking irons... they're actually very good compared with the expensive chinese pricking irons offered by various firms :D

I love burnishing... it's a bit of a guilty pleasure as I'm a weirdo who will sew together two pieces of leather, just to burnish the edge and try to get it perfect. Leather working has become a bit of an obsession for me... but I've learned quickly, it isn't the tools you have, its the way you use them. The cheapest of tools can be turned into a vital part of your leather making kit.

Cheapest bit of kit I have, a pair of blunt needles... most used kit... those blunt needles :D

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
I made a stitching pony and this was the first time i used it. Makes things so much easier. andrew james saddlers needles and artificial sinew, are much easier than standard pointy ones too.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I bought my first stitching pony... kudos for making one! Would love to see what you've made.

Love the artificial sinew... I've had mixed results with threads of all different kinds, but the artificial sinew does the job every time. I've bought numerous colours.... not tested how long the colours hold though.

Do you use an awl as well, or just the pricking irons?

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Ill put a pic up tomorrow. This was my first time using the irons so i didnt use an awl. Tbh im not that happy with the shape so i might make another but a sheath is on the cards too.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Its functional and neatly done... everything needed for a good mask. But as Hamish told me a good few months ago, you'll catch the bug!

I've made hundreds of things in leather over the last six months... not to sell, just to practise the process. I'm one of those nut cases who will stitch a few feet of leather together just for the sake of it... it is fascinating... especially how the leather reacts to heat. I've experimented with moulding for a while now and what happens when you get some leather, wet it, then fold it and stick it in a vice. Unless you oil the leather, it cracks rather badly, just as Hamish said it would. Had to find out for myself though :D

Looking forward to seeing your stitching horse though... I use a mixture of my knees, a stitching horse and I've even tried a regular vice... have a thing about stitching leather now... must put me on some sort of list somewhere ;)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Nicely done... beats paying through the nose for one and if it gets the job done... makes sense to make your own.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE