Axe lanyards...?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cody

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2007
New York, USA
I keep a small leather loop (not large enough for a hand to fit through) through the laynyard hole on my Gransfors.

I don't use it for anything other than looping it on broken twigs at the base of trees to keep it off the ground.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
A short knife lanyard is very useful if you carry your knife in a deep, tight sheath.

You use the lanyard *not* to go around the wrist, but to pull up a bit and expose the handle of the knife, then you transfer your grip to the handle and pull it the rest of the way out.

This use of a short lanyard is especially useful if you've got gloves on.

Cody

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2007
New York, USA
You use the lanyard *not* to go around the wrist, but to pull up a bit and expose the handle of the knife, then you transfer your grip to the handle and pull it the rest of the way out.

I could see that being pretty useful. I'll probably throw a lanyard on my knife for just that reason.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Knife lanyards are different.

I have a locking knife lanyard on most of my larger fixed knives and I use them in a variety of ways to improve grip and safety.

I know I'm in a minority but they have a place for those that like them

Red

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I still haven't found a time when I find a lanyard on a knife all that useful either.

Handy for keeping a knife though;)

DSC02241.jpg

PiterM

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2009
Poland
ok, now I see it... I'll keep th short hanger loop on my axe, that's it. And since oit's a braided leather loop it adds a bit of grip as well. Pic's will follow (tomorrow?).

Lanyard on a knife can be VERY useful, especially on a folder clipped inside a pocket. It's so much easier to draw a knife with lanyard when sitting, that I put it on almost every folder I carry, like this one:

090524_sebenza.jpg

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Most SAR (search and rescue) folks that I deal with wear belt knives with short, but bright coloured lanyards on them. This is so that even in snow or water, they can find their knife (in case it fell out, or if they have to reach for it on a belt, or if they set it down for a moment).

After losing a few very good knives in the bush, I've begun to practise this short, bright coloured lanyard technique as well.

With an axe, I only have a lanyard on my Gransfors axe to hang it off a branch (and again, to find it easier).

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
I would say using a lanyard on a axe is for storage or for extra security while getting from A to B , I would say it's the same for knifes to unless your're climbing .
Bob

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
The only Axe's of mine that have lanyards are Ice Axe's for when i go Ice Climbing. When i have my Crampons attached to my feet and my axes attached to my wrisits if i slipped on the side of a cliff covered by ice then i kno they are not going anywhere and neither am I. But ice axe's are a completely different design to normal axe's and the potential danger is decreased signifficantly.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
One advantage of having a small lanyard IMO is thus...
Make a double chain splice from a 5-6 foot para cord langth with a 2 inch or so gap between the handle and splice beginning. In this way, you can undo the para cord and use it as a frip enhancement.
Also using a lanyard this long attached to the wrist, the axe may swing loose, but at that 6 foot range it will snap and fall straight to the floor. This reduces the potential of it flying into someone or down a crevace or swinging into you...

In addition the extra cord can also be used for what a million other things...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE