Axe ID ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Can anybody help with any information about an axe I have in front of me.

It says 'HB' inside a dashed circle with a vertical arrow between the H and the B.

It says Made in Sweden' and '0.7' (presumably in Kg) and '1 1/2' (presumably in pounds). I am currently cleaning it up and it does seem rather nice.

Thanks,

Richard

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
EDIT: Cegga mentions below that Hultafors is a brand of axe made by Hult Bruk, so HB is for 'Hult Bruk' not 'Hultafors Bruk'. Thank you Cegga.

It’s a Hultafors Bruk, and they are very nice indeed:

hults_hatchet.jpg

http://www.hultafors.co.uk/default.asp?LanguageID=2

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Paul.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
One of the reasons I like this forum so much.

Looks like I have found a nice axe there, now to restore it. It has taken a nice shiny edge, though I can't test the hardness. The handle is fairly knackered so I shall start looking for one slightly longer than that fitted. I shall clean off the various paints that have been applied to the body and give it a polished finish.

And my wife has offered to buy me a GB for our anniversary - think I fancy the Hunters - aren't I a lucky boy.

Richard

Cegga

Nomad
Dec 21, 2006
Sweden
cegga.spaces.live.com
Hi
H-B stants for Hult Bruk .
The axe on the pics are in many size´s 0,6 - 0,8- 0,9- 1,0- 1,2- 1,5- 1,75- 2,0- 2,2 kg
and it´s the same axe as the old AGDOR axe .It´s shange name ca 10 year´s ago .
And I think the axe sell in UK by Fisco http://www.fisco.co.uk/default.php or will sell it
sens Hultafors buy in to that company .
And all Hultafors are made by Hult Bruk .
Sweden´s oldest and biggest axe factory .
Cegga

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Hi
H-B stants for Hult Bruk .
The axe on the pics are in many size´s 0,6 - 0,8- 0,9- 1,0- 1,2- 1,5- 1,75- 2,0- 2,2 kg
and it´s the same axe as the old AGDOR axe .It´s shange name ca 10 year´s ago .
And I think the axe sell in UK by Fisco http://www.fisco.co.uk/default.php or will sell it
sens Hultafors buy in to that company .
And all Hultafors are made by Hult Bruk .
Sweden´s oldest and biggest axe factory .
Cegga

Thank you, maestro, I’ll be emailing Fisco soon for UK retailers.

Best regards to you and all at Hult Bruk,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
...Any ideas for the handle out there ?...

Welcome to the nightmare.

There are lots of online retailers that sell replacement handles, being sent a good handle is problematic, and establishing whether it will fit the eye of the head is too. I've been looking around the shops trying to find stock I can sort through, but I'm lucky to find an axe, not to mention a replacement handle. You could measure the eye and get in contact with Pro Adventure, they only have handles for Gransfors, but they are very helpful people.

Unless you have a good tool shop nearby or within a reasonable distance, you're pretty much snookered.

Things have got so bad with one of my current projects that I'm giving serious consideration to fitting a pick-axe handle to this head (which is probably no more than it deserves):

pickaxe.jpg

Happy handle hunting,
Paul.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Well I now have two handle options - much to my surprise I couldn't find anything that would fit in Aberystwyth but found two in Lampeter, one in the Feed Suppliers and the other in the Hardware shop.

One plain Ash and the other varnished U.S. Hickory.

My preference would be for the Ash as it is an 18" job whereas the Hickory is only 16". I would then oil the Ash by preference. Boiled or Plain Linseed Oil ? Both dirt cheap from Charlies Stores (who seem to have stopped selling handles in Aberystwyth at least).

I need to slightly pare down the Ash handle to fit and put in the slot for the wooden wedge. The Hickory already has the split.

Any opinions ?

Richard

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
Hi Lavrentyuk

Good to see another one from this part of the world on here.

Hult Bruk axes seem to be pretty rare in the UK, I found this vintage one on a second hand tool stall for a fiver. It's another clean up and re-handle project when I get round to it :)

HBaxe1.jpg

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE