Axe forging at the Bushcraft Show

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Hi all

Not sure if this should be in out and about, social or edged as its got them all :)

Well Saturday I went to the Bushcraft Show
7d41ec8e7e5542527d358286f98960ae_zps01456299.jpg

And sat in traffic waiting to get in :)
Teach me to be a day visitor. Next time I'm camping for sure.
081dd52365d07fa88896519a80d9888a_zps3d71891d.jpg

It was a stunning day and good fun too. Did spend too much, but a lot less than I could have or would like to have:sulkoff:

Popped along to see Angst who was a great fella with a fantastic family. I hope he had a good rest of the weekend, and his new marquee survived.
Also saw Spiritwalker and his young son. Good to meet some fellow BCUK folk. All great individuals.

I did a bit of shopping, a bit of eating, then went to the Wetterlings tent to do the axe making. I didn't get any pics of me in action as it was full on and blumming tiring. However the morning group over ran so I did get a couple of pics of them.
000a844db6aba2932cc8d66c460ba7ec_zps92dd5feb.jpg

516ac24f2f72b3ecc8ade7d7e8abc70a_zpsdf1452c4.jpg

It started with a brief introduction from Julia (a nicer person you could not hope to meet). We ran through the process, the tools and a bit of safety. I'm really happy to say the safety stuff was brief. One of the main bits was. Here are some gloves, you can wear them if you want. It was great not to be health and safety obsessed. Because to be honest we would never have been able to do it if they had been involved. Its called axe forging. There will be hammers and very hot lumps of metal. Buyer beware:p
I was paired with Luke and we watched the first steps and them set off. Luke duly on the sledge hammer me with the pre holed block of red hot metal. Held with tongs and a former to open the eye. First swing Luke smacks my hand :eek:. He apologised, we got on with it, and he was good enough to not do it again.
Then we swap and he takes his block from the forge/kiln, while mine goes back in to heat again and the roles swap.
Next is forming a dip in front of the eye to start to form the shape.
Then thinning out the cheeks to form the lips. All a lot harder than it sounds and a lot of hammering, heating, repeat.
Then we moved on to drawing out the blade edge. This took a while and I was tired by this stage. The head also deformed quite a bit so needed some tinkering at stages. Our master smith Richard gave a few pointers and took a swing here and there to help things, but largely left us to create our own unique axe. Mine was splaying at the blade and was a little thick. Richard helped with correcting things a little but the design evolved into a sort of carver.
A good bit of cooling later and grinding was next
36c6d7316aafe62bb5040d8f2bea0671_zps54695d1d.jpg

Ben Orford (a scholar and gentleman) had very kindly offered to do this on his exceptional grinder to speed the process along. I cannot thank him enough for lending a hand like this.
As mine was carver ish, I opted to have a single sided convex edge put on it :)
Richard then set about heat treating the head and quenching the blade in heated water. Then using the residual heat in the poll to let a temper run up through the head and a little extra heat from the kiln. Very cool. He did state that he would harden and temper them softer than normal to ensure no failures after all the hard work.
Ben was kind enough to put a polish on this for me, see nice guy.
Next a quick handle fit. Glue in a wedge and trim of the exess.

My axe
c83c61d0c874c6017e8a32b242704828_zpsd03b71aa.jpg

Its by no means perfect and rough and ready here and there.
74549d33d1d7ab83bffa5286ebed01f3_zpsfa2a001d.jpg

1f5996fbab319356bfa9e4d751e2f840_zpsac95ed66.jpg

dc66b13c695b3ca5415c7f6b433b142b_zps0f21ab41.jpg

A great project. It took far longer than planned. I was dehydrated and worn out by the hot day and hard work (yes I'm unfit and have a very lazy job) but thoroughly enjoyed it. Just needs a strop, a mask and to be put to the test.

My impulse purchase of the day
baf3dd28beefc44b9c5c87e38a61dac6_zps9c7cea2b.jpg

A little Enzo Necker from English Handmade Knives. Another little project. I cannot decide if to use the orange G10 it has or to use some wood and liners maybe. I kind of like the G10 and I've never used any before.
Thread to follow ;)

And a great find
3916c20b7a028bda3d2f5173c5b9fb2a_zps6e6dabb7.jpg

A canoe awl (trade awl) from Andrew Kirkham. A great guy and a fine example of his work. Same as you can get off Woodlore. This now needs a handle. Antler I think.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Nice post - sounds like a great day out (apart from the traffic).................and a nice axe to bring away!.....................atb mac

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Went there today, Ben Orford was still grinding axes for people that had forged them. He is a very nice bloke. Met Angst too !
Nice axe by the way. You should of tried one of Angst's axe masks while you were there.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
We didn't finish till 7.30pm ish and he was packing up. Plus its a bit of a one off, so I'm guessing the mask is going to be a one off too :)

Went there today, Ben Orford was still grinding axes for people that had forged them. He is a very nice bloke. Met Angst too !
Nice axe by the way. You should of tried one of Angst's axe masks while you were there.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Thanks all.

I picked up some 2mm leather for some slip pouches for a growing collection of pocket knives. But hopefully i have enough scraps of thicker stuff for the mask. Will post what i make as an when i find the time :)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Phhhwwwoooaaarrrr what a great thing to do! I would kill to do one of Dave Budds(?) axe making courses, VERY jealous :) I was part of the audience watching (ok, monopolising ;)) one of Ben Orfords sharpening lectures last year, he was extremely patient and enthusiastic about sharing his craft :) EHK were there last year and super-busy... delighted for them, its a marvellous stand and the choice is great :)

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Looks like a great day.

Part of me is wincing a bit at the forging without eye protection.

(I got a tiny fleck of steel in my eye a couple of months back - had to have it drilled out, the rust ring was surprisingly painful for such a tiny tiny bit of metal)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Ouch.

Yeh, did ruin a Berghaus top from the top scale flying around :)

Looks like a great day.

Part of me is wincing a bit at the forging without eye protection.

(I got a tiny fleck of steel in my eye a couple of months back - had to have it drilled out, the rust ring was surprisingly painful for such a tiny tiny bit of metal)

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
Nice axe. I did the course on the Sunday morning, it was a fantastic day. However 3 hours hammering and pounding, an odd hour listening to Myke Hawke followed by 2.5 hours of canoeing, and then immediately back to finish the axe, made me a very tired but satisfied man. I only managed to get burn holes in my arm, and got hit twice by the sledgehammer but no injuries. Totally agree with you about Richard and Julia being the nicest people you could meet, but man was I surprised when he let his hair down! Will try to add some piccies up once I get on my laptop, as my ipad doesn't do it.

All in all a fantastic experience, well worth the money, and refreshingly non health and safety!

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Nice axe. I did the course on the Sunday morning, it was a fantastic day. However 3 hours hammering and pounding, an odd hour listening to Myke Hawke followed by 2.5 hours of canoeing, and then immediately back to finish the axe, made me a very tired but satisfied man. I only managed to get burn holes in my arm, and got hit twice by the sledgehammer but no injuries. Totally agree with you about Richard and Julia being the nicest people you could meet, but man was I surprised when he let his hair down! Will try to add some piccies up once I get on my laptop, as my ipad doesn't do it.

All in all a fantastic experience, well worth the money, and refreshingly non health and safety!

Yep, pics please.

Sounds like you had a great day. Was good.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi.....indeed, i was pleased to meet you too sir culter....and well done on the axe m8, i was privileged to hold this fresh off the anvil and if i make as good when its my turn i'll be a happy dude,

a.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE