Axe for sale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've had this axe sitting on my show table all summer and I'm feeling the need to move it on. This axe was made for the purposes of this tutorialearlier in the year. I did the tutorial because folk were asking about how I make axes (my 2010 procrastination projects of choice) and because somebody was spreading rumours that I was mearly pimping cheap axes! :yikes:

I've changed how I make axes slightly since the tutorial, but only so far as I now only use bar stock rather than hammer heads and I have a flash new heat treating rig that I use rather than the forge. I've also moved away from grinding the head unless I really have to (like my knives, I prefer to forge to finished, but at the time I was still finding my feet forging axes to done) and the same with the handles. This handle has a fairly finely sanded and oiled handle, whereas now I prefer to carve and finish with either a spokeshave or scraper.

So this little axe is totally unique and I won't be making another axe quite like it again. It's also part of bcuk tutorial history! :cool:

axeBCUK1web.jpg

Vital statistics:
Head:
Steel: 1055M hammer head
Weight: total 700g, head 550gish (forgot to weigh it sorry!)
Edge length: 85mm
head length: 155mm

Handle:
Wood: English Ash (from a tree just in front of my workshop)
Length: 355mm to start of head

Sheath: 3.5mm veg tanned leather, snapper fastener

As the axe has been on my table at shows, the head has a little more brown patination on it, but not rusty at all (I can clean it back if you really want :rolleyes:) and the handle has begun to mellow to the nice yellow that ash goes in sunlight. Otherwise it's exactly as the picture shows and is of course razor sharp :)

Down to the nasty then. It's been on my table for £160 but I'll offer it here for £140 including mainland UK delivery and Paypal fees.

Sod it, final drop to get shot of this little chopper. £110 including postage

first come first served, this is the only one I have :) thanks for looking

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd love that :)

Sadly I'm having to buy prosaic tools like log splitting wedges and spades at the moment

Lovely tool - wish it were mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE