Axe bevels- what angles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Hi all,

Can't seem to find a definitive answer on blade profiles for my hatchet.
I have 2 axes: AJ Finlay large axe (SFA size) and an argos hatchet (which has taken loads of filing to get and edge).
The Finlay axe has a very slim profile and is very nice for the light tasks I give it. I want to give my hatchet a similar profile but would like to know if any body else has some wise knowledge I could use.
I have seen in books that you can make a template out of metal. I have a bevel checker from axminster but I find the gaps where the edge slots in are too big and it makes the device fairly useless on small tools. Does anybody have a decent template for axes.
The axe is used for kindling, carving and light limbing.
Any info is really useful. If I can set this axe up nicely I may invest in a more expensive one in the future!

NB- I have just recieved a GB axe file as an anniversary present. I wouldn't normally spend that much on what is essentially a metal file but I am very pleased with it. It takes metal off with ease, is safe to use and packs really small.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
really there is no answer. say you where cutting oak the edge wouldn't be a fine as if you where cutting spruce. also it is not just the final bevel that has to be sharp, the profile of the whole axe head has a major effect on its efficency.

axes are best set up for one perpose. an axe set up for felling will be hopless for splitting firewood. so usually a compromise has to be made, especially in bushcraft as your not going to carry several different axes each with their own perpose.

if you want to learn about axes i highly reccomend this book. it covers EVERYTHING.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ax-Book-Lore-Science-Woodcutter/dp/0911469168

If I can set this axe up nicely I may invest in a more expensive one in the future!

ah, when you learn how to set up your axe nicely there will be no need to buy an expensive one ;)
knowlege wins over expensive kit every time!

hope this helps
pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE