Awaiting knife from th USA

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 17, 2007
Edinburgh
I ordered a folding knife from New Graham on 31 Jan, and I was able to to track it via the US Postal Service until it left the US on 3 Feb.

As of today - 14 Feb, there is still no sign of it. Does anyone have any idea if an item coming from the US normally take this long? Could it be held up in Customs? Any ideas how I could check?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Buster

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
I sent Torjus (member) a piece of flint about a week ago and he still hasn't recieved it and thats in norway. I know the American customs can be over hyped about things coming into the country but leaving it, Not so sure. Hopefully it is just a delay but 2 weeks from order date sounds about right so you should recieve it soon.

Jay

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have a watch coming from the US that's MIA.
Tracked it on the USPS site until it left USA.
Nothing for 3 weeks
Contacted RM and UK Customs , both can't help.
Got a letter from Parcel Farce yesterday asking for duty on a parcel so i hope it's that one.
Maybe it's just stuck with Customs, almost everything i bring in now is being stopped (and duty charged :( )

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I bought a very rare Bowen/Hickman statue of Cthulhu (H P Lovecraft) and it took nearly four months to get to me :eek: . I had all but given up hope then Parsehole Force sent me a letter telling me they had had it for over two months and could they please have 81 quid :cussing:

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
This amazes me, I have sent and received, literally dozens of packages and I have never had one held or go missing. I have sent umpteen knives to the US and listed them as such without a hitch.

Anything with a commercial invoice on it will be grabbed, there are ways around a lot of it, but mention here and the goody-two-shoes will have vapors ;)

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Simon E said:
This amazes me, I have sent and received, literally dozens of packages and I have never had one held or go missing. I have sent umpteen knives to the US and listed them as such without a hitch.

Anything with a commercial invoice on it will be grabbed, there are ways around a lot of it, but mention here and the goody-two-shoes will have vapors ;)

I will risk a trouncing ;) Get the sender to mark the cost of the item down and mark it up as a gift (this will obviously effect your insurance stance but if you are willing to take the chance go for it). Its not foolproof but I got a £400 limited edition Alien head signed by H R Giger through the little bloodsuckers without a penny in duty :D. I fail to see why I should pay duty on an object that cannot be sourced in the UK

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Silverback said:
I will risk a trouncing ;) Get the sender to mark the cost of the item down and mark it up as a gift (this will obviously effect your insurance stance but if you are willing to take the chance go for it). Its not foolproof but I got a £400 limited edition Alien head signed by H R Giger through the little bloodsuckers without a penny in duty :D. I fail to see why I should pay duty on an object that cannot be sourced in the UK

That is so cool Silverback. Just googled it and they are going for £800 :eek: . Maybe in the next life i'll be able to afford one :rolleyes:

Jay

M

mikehill

Customs are presently working through a backlog. My knife that I received yesterday was with them for 11 days. I wouldn't worry for another week ;)

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
(in the style of the 4 Yorkshiremen Python sketch)

Post Force! You should think yourselves lucky. In Poland all foreign post seems to be opened for a laugh in Warsaw (remember we're in the EU here) and if there is something nice or valuable - well good luck ever finding it again.
It seems more like a bunch of bandits than a government organisation - the postage rates are so cheap that there isn't enough money to pay them enough to stop "mislaying" items. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

D

DavidW

I can't say what happens with items mailed from the USA but I have a recent experience on items coming from your end into the USA. Two packages were mailed the same day . One arrived in about one week. The other was lost somewhere for an additional three weeks.

Four weeks ago I ordered some motorcycle trials items from cjbphotographic , in Cheswick Green, Solihull . The items shipped were a clock, a metal sculpture and six dvds. Due to some weight restriction the items were divided into two packages. Shipped the same day via Royal Mail.

The clock and one dvd arrived in about one week. After two more weeks the sender tried to track the missing package with little success. After one more week it was decided to resend the missing items.

Murphy's Law was applied and two days later the missing box from the first mailing was delivered. Thus two packages with basically the same contents shipped the same day had one arrive quickly yet the other package was lost somewhere for an additional three weeks.

It may be intesting to see how long it takes for the packages to deliver when I return the replacement items.

I might also add that it took four weeks to receive a book from Canada which I ordered about three months ago. It was a somewhat hard to find motorcycle trials book thirty years out of print , ordered from a used book dealer. The book seller stated from her experience customs is the culprit as some of her books coming into the USA delivered quickly while others commonly took four to six weeks.

However , it is always frustrating trying to determine if customs is the cause or if it is in fact a lost shippment due to some problem with the shipper.

David

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Silverback said:

Nearly......;)

DavidW said:
I can't say what happens with items mailed from the USA but I have a recent experience on items coming from your end into the USA. Two packages were mailed the same day . One arrived in about one week. The other was lost somewhere for an additional three weeks.

Four weeks ago I ordered some motorcycle trials items from cjbphotographic , in Cheswick Green, Solihull . The items shipped were a clock, a metal sculpture and six dvds. Due to some weight restriction the items were divided into two packages. Shipped the same day via Royal Mail.

The clock and one dvd arrived in about one week. After two more weeks the sender tried to track the missing package with little success. After one more week it was decided to resend the missing items.

Murphy's Law was applied and two days later the missing box from the first mailing was delivered. Thus two packages with basically the same contents shipped the same day had one arrive quickly yet the other package was lost somewhere for an additional three weeks.

It may be intesting to see how long it takes for the packages to deliver when I return the replacement items.

I might also add that it took four weeks to receive a book from Canada which I ordered about three months ago. It was a somewhat hard to find motorcycle trials book thirty years out of print , ordered from a used book dealer. The book seller stated from her experience customs is the culprit as some of her books coming into the USA delivered quickly while others commonly took four to six weeks.

However , it is always frustrating trying to determine if customs is the cause or if it is in fact a lost shippment due to some problem with the shipper.

David

nice to see Trials in USA :D my uncle was Geoff Chandler and road for many works teams( Bultaco, Montessa, Ossa etc) in the 60's to 80's as well as several Scottish 6 day events. most of my early exp of the out doors was helping set up trials or watching .

and the Sammy Miller Museam is just down the road they used to be great rivals

he used to Ride with http://www.sdmcc.net/history/trials.html as well as sotton vikings

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Silverback said:

Naughty :rolleyes:

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Phil562 said:
But nice :D

HeadFront.jpg

GigerSig.jpg

HeadTop.jpg

Jan 17, 2007
Edinburgh
Thanks all - I am somewhat reassured now. I was a bit concerned that some light fingered oaf was already using my griptilian to spread his sandwiches.

I'll just sit tight.

Buster

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE