Avoiding becomming a victim....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I just had an ugly situation a few hours ago. i was heading back home from an orienting course I am taking in order to be ready for my next adventure race. the place is a few blocks from my house. so I went on foot. it was 2230 i walked 100 meters or so and then i see a bike with two guys (without helmet) in it. I t is sadly common thing to get mugged here by guys riding a bike. so I realized I was in trouble. since they are comming in the same direction I am heading I turn back and started running, took a turn in the corner and reached the big avenue that was 1 block away. and then continued walking home. managed to arrive safely.
What I am trying to say is that most important thing is besides avoiding the situations that may lead to trouble (I could have taken a cab) is that you need to be alert. If I saw them a moment later I would not have make it to escape.

Cheers
Esteban

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Who cares? You didn't get mugged, you didn't get ripped off, job done, result! Embrace your inner coward mate, this is real life not a Rambo movie. I could care less about self respect, I like having my front teeth.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Not really. When I was still a patrol deputy we encountered mostly drugged up individuals. They feel no pain, know no fatigue and generally have increased strength and speed depending on what drugs are used. I've been in situations where it took 3 trained officers to subdue individuals who just shook off being tased; absorbed strikes from a collapsible baton as if it were a pool noodle and threw deputies around like rag dolls. One individual took a blast of pepper spray to the face, a taser jolt and was still strangling a city cop. He was finally stopped by two shots of 00 buckshot from the officers partner.

As you say though it really depends on what drugs they're on.
In the UK it's mainly cannabis or heroin use, both of which tend to lead to a weakened state of mind.

On things like PC i'd agree with you, it's unlikely to see a group of youths out their head on PCP in the UK though.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
We can all give advice, do this, do that, be like this etc. but when you're in a real threatening situation, your heart thumping, your knees buckling & the adrenalin pumping, it's very hard to pretend to be what you're not.
None of us know how we will react in a dangerous situation beforehand & there is no one attitude to cover all threats, .each incident is different.
The OP won, since he avoided any aggression, so he obviously had the right attitude on this occassion.
The fear of death is worse than death it's self.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The best matial art for self defence is Ni-ke, i.e. be elsewhere or run faster (or smarter) than the other guy. Remember the tracker scene in the second Crocodile Dundee movie? Work on that. I also suspect that some parcour would come in handy in the urban environment as well (not nessersarilly the jumping off buildings, but the jumping fences and climbing low walls type bits).

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
so I mutter something about being 'at my credit limit', no eye contact, and shy away from their request.

I was always taught as a kid that you look everyone in the eye, if just for a few seconds... Its how we judge eachother.

We as a species follow a packing order, just like any other.
Its all in the body language and the first thing we look at is other people's eye's, less than a second later our subconscious tell's us where we are in that order. Some people use that advantage.

Its better to be too humble than too brash for what its worth imho. you would be welcome around our campfire anytime. al.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Big L your quite right about the eye contact (at least in a western/European context) Avoiding eye contact is usually a sign of fear/weakness whereas prolonged eye contact (staring) is usually a sign of aggression/dominance. It's a fine balance in the best of circumstances but almost impossible if you're excited and facing someone whose social norms may be a bit twisted. Even worse if the threat is not of European ethnicity and you don't know the social etiquette.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Ignoring the potential aggressors, continuing doing what you were doing before they arrived, as if they wern't there, can destabalise them, & the only way they can continue their 'attack" is by pysically aggressing you, but being unsure of your reactions since they have not been unable to 'read' you, are unlikely to cross that threshold.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well one response to any scam of that sort is to affect a foreign language of some sort, better to make one up as then there is no chance they can understand and are totally flummoxed.

May 16, 2011
Perth
Ignoring the potential aggressors, continuing doing what you were doing before they arrived, as if they wern't there, can destabalise them, & the only way they can continue their 'attack" is by pysically aggressing you, but being unsure of your reactions since they have not been unable to 'read' you, are unlikely to cross that threshold.

on the same note if you dont ignore them and say something they dont like they are just as likely to get physically aggressive. its all a game of chance, but in somewhere that is covered with cctv most people aren't stupid enough to fight in front of the cameras so do what makes you most comfortable weather its get in your car and go or its to ignore them or talk back at the end of the day if they are out for a fight with you then thats what they will do and there is nothing that can be done about that

May 21, 2009
Derbyshire
First post!
True some people are looking for trouble but if they wanted to just fight they could just attack you, I think how you react initially does often have some bearing on how things will then progress

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Recognising warning signs and avoiding danger are much overlooked survival skills. Remember what happened , extract the lessons, turn the experience into a positive, and move on. Dont dwell on it, lifes too short. YOU SURVIVED potential physical harm, and didn't loose any money nice one mate.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Oh I agree, not dwelling on it at all, I just thought I could get some advise on the perceieved best way to handle simular situations for future. I should switch on a bit more at times, this one caught me a little on the back foot. Not normal for me I must say.

I've still got all my teeth, and I've strolled in some pretty unsavoury places before now, so I must be doing something right ;)

"Its better to be too humble than too brash for what its worth imho" . Agreed Labouski, and cheers for the offer, it's likewise :)

Cheers for all your opinions :)

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Perhaps there's a bushcrafting theme here after all; Situational Awareness. It's the most important thing for staying out of danger and for being able to enjoy the outdoors.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
i have had afew similar happenings on nights out, the usual thing is a group of gangsta wannabes looking for a fight, usualy i dont get any problems as alot of them know me, but when problems do arise, i generaly stay calm, stand my ground and see how the situation unfolds. i will never throw the first punch, as the first punch leaves you open to a counter attack ect. if the situation turns to more chavs turning up or somtimes with dogs, i will generaly get out of there. its alot scarier when your on your own than when your with freinds, numbers = confidence, this is why they feel they can pick on anyone.

you will occasionaly spot a single chav in the street who you may recognise from a perhaps violent encounter, providing he is alone he will be subissive and passive but rude.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I know you don't have the option there but I usually go armed. Just a holdover from when I was a cop; or maybe not as I usually went armed long before that also.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I know you don't have the option there but I usually go armed. Just a holdover from when I was a cop; or maybe not as I usually went armed long before that also.

It is illegal to carry any object with the intention of using it as a weapon in the UK, although you can utilise objects you happen to be carrying in order to defend yourself if assaulted. Yes, I know how that sounds to an American, but it's just the way it is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE