• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Hi Tony,

Is there a restriction that avatar pictiures can only be jpg not gif ?

Trying to upload today I resized one in photoshop to make sure it fit the 100x100 limit and at 5.9k was inside the file limit, but BCUK threw a wobbly when I tried to upload from my machine.

I specifically used photoshop's "save for web" option which tends to achieve the very small file sizes needed by Bulletin boards by converting the image to a small gif.

BCUK seemed much happier when I tried a jpg, but I can't squeeze that down to 6k using any trick i know in photoshop, so it rejects because of filesize.

Cheers to anyone who can advise

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Thanks for letting us know ...

These problems (and several others) will be fixed shortly ...

Adi007 (wearing Mod hat)

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Adi my avatar seems to be stuck on do not use avatar - how do i change it?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Click the 'use custom avatar' in the box below where you put in the link to your pic, that should remove the 'Do not use avatar' .

Hope this helps

Ed

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Ed said:
Click the 'use custom avatar' in the box below where you put in the link to your pic, that should remove the 'Do not use avatar' . Hope this helps Ed
There is no such place in my account, only "Save changes" and "Reset fields" nothing like avatar editing on my account on British Blades.
:confused:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Hi Guys
Richie said:
I've had the same problem today when I tried to upload a GIF avatar

Alick said:
Trying to upload today I resized one in photoshop to make sure it fit the 100x100 limit and at 5.9k was inside the file limit, but BCUK threw a wobbly when I tried to upload from my machine.
This is fixed now! :)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
alick said:
Hi Tony,

Is there a restriction that avatar pictiures can only be jpg not gif ?

I specifically used photoshop's "save for web" option which tends to achieve the very small file sizes needed by Bulletin boards by converting the image to a small gif.

BCUK seemed much happier when I tried a jpg, but I can't squeeze that down to 6k using any trick i know in photoshop, so it rejects because of filesize.

Cheers to anyone who can advise

Alick, the save for web feature in photoshop allows you to choose all sorts of file types. Gif's are good with certain files, jpegs are good with others. Much depends on the colour palette of your image. I would try both gif and jpeg to see which delivers the smaller file. The only time a 100 x 100 pic need to be more than 6k is if it is an animated gif. If you have problems, send the file to me and I'll compress it for you, but I recommend you try photoshops "save for web" feature, with the filetype set as a jpg, and the compression level set at 50%.

Oh, one more thing, before you "save for web" run the sharpen filter over the 100 x 100 pic, you'll be amazed at the difference.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
There's a selection of avatars uploaded now for your pleasure.

BTW, if you want a copy of your old avatar (there were a few of you that had them), drop me a PM and I might be able to get a copy to you.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
OK, the CP tells me I can have an avatar up to 58.6kB/100x100 pixels...
My 64x64 avatar is 18299B in size, but doesn't seem to upload.

This would be because - despite having browsed for a file to upload - I had not also clicked on "use custom avatar"

:banghead:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Glad to hear you figured it out Espy! :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE