Day Out Autumn Wood Fair.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Every Autumn there is a Wood Fair which takes place within easy travelling distance of where I live, so this Saturday being a beautiful warm sunny day, I went along.
Set in the grounds of a country estate the Fair is spread between open areas and woodland.

Wood aplenty on sale, from the plain to the exotic.

And of course a selection of stalls selling everything from wood working tools to Vegan Hamburgers...What?
Well that's what the notice board displayed...:D

As I have the self control of a adolescent Dormouse I kept a tight hold on my wallet as I passed such stalls as the Stick Makers..

And stalls like this with some very nice used but well cared for Axes...I do not need another Axe..I do not need another Axe..

Nearly made it... but..bought a Japanese folding saw instead.......I failed the wallet control exercise...again!!

Always interesting to see the Pole Lathe users working at their craft.

And their products.

Timber being processed by Centuries old methods..

While in the wood, pressing buttons and hydraulics did the same thing..( but in my view, not in a nearly so interesting or skillful way)

The woodland is laid out with an aerial rope walkway for youngsters and a suspended net 'Cage' where I witnessed two kids having the time of their lives tumbling around high above the woodland floor.
( Look closely, they're not easy to spot)...:D

Some fancy work with a Chain Saw..

Recycled Horse Shoes..

And wooden boats built entirely with non powered hand tools. This particular boat has a Sparrow's face shaped into the Bow.

A good day out, all made possible by this Gentleman, without whose help we would all be the poorer..:biggrin:

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Late reply, sorry Chalkflint, been away playing with my boat. Yes, Bentley Wood Fair near Lewes. It is smaller than previous years, but maybe either the Crafts People priced themselves out of the market or their stall site fees were increased to silly money by the estate owners. I'm told public liability insurance increases for land owners/ organisers may well do for other similar events as well in the future.
I enjoyed it though..:thumbsup:

Chalkflint

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2017
Oxford
I thought about going to Bentley but I had been to the big APF forestry show the weekend before.
The APF is every two years and mainly large commercial machinery but it had a good attendance of small craft type stalls, old and new tools, bodgers etc. An arena for historic machinery.The chainsaw carving was very impressive and they had the lumberjack championships etc which is always good fun to watch.
Great day out but you really have to like big machinery.
Chalkflint

ferretracer

Nov 16, 2012
basingstoke
Was a good day I went down on the sunday with the other half, My firtst time a this one, not bad also had a wander round the the wild fowl section of the house land to see all the ducks and swans etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE