Atanarjuat - Questions for Northern Bushcrafters

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I just finished watching a DVD of this very interesting film.

http://www.atanarjuat.com/

The story aside it was like watching living bushcraft. And excellent cinematography.

I have some questions:

1. the seal lamps - how do they get the little flames to line up so neatly on the rim of the lamp? What do they pick out of the lamp? Bits of fat or impurities that act as wicks? Why doesn't the oil in the lamp catch fire too?

2. tenderising meat - why was the meat tenderised so much with the hammer? Most of the time meat seemed to be eaten raw which, in my limited experience, means that it is chewable if cut small with a knife

3. Women seem to leave an igloo feet first. Is that a cultural thing? Respect for those remaining within?

I realise I may not find many Northern Bushcrafters but please have a stab at informing me of the reasons

thanks.

This film was not in general release in the uk and I've been dying to watch it. I contacted the distributors years ago and was told that they are in negotiations with a Europenan distributor. The film was only ever released small scale in the uk at special screenings, it is unavailable over here in DVD form...

I'd love to watch it though.

Woodsmoke

BOD

This film was not in general release in the uk and I've been dying to watch it. I contacted the distributors years ago and was told that they are in negotiations with a Europenan distributor. The film was only ever released small scale in the uk at special screenings, it is unavailable over here in DVD form...

I'd love to watch it though.

Woodsmoke

I'll check with the shop I bought it from and can send it to you if they have stock. I think it was the last copy or close to last. Ill check the price of postage and let you know

BOD

There was a issue I recall with regions and DVD players. I think the discussion was in the Bush Tucker man DVD thread.

I know little about the subject but I can tell you that the back of the box says it is a DVD 9. The version is the Inuktitut version, Inuktitut being the Inuit language. The sub titles are Either English or Chinese, the distributor being a Hong Kong company.

My DVD players play just about anything from my Bush Tucker man DVDs from Australia to cheap rip off copies from Thailand but I am not sure what yours will manage.

You may care to check first.

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
I've just come across your original post and thought I'd try and provide you with some answers:

1. the seal lamps - how do they get the little flames to line up so neatly on the rim of the lamp? What do they pick out of the lamp? Bits of fat or impurities that act as wicks? Why doesn't the oil in the lamp catch fire too?

The lamps are made from soapstone - a sort of shallow dish shape is made in the stone. On one edge, a roll of dry moss is laid (sort of like a cigarette without the wrapper) - this forms the wick with the seal oil being drawn up by capillary action. Occasionally, he 'wick' needs to be readjusted. A well lit lamp, without smoke and a good long wick is a mark of a good wife in Inuit culture.

2. tenderising meat - why was the meat tenderised so much with the hammer? Most of the time meat seemed to be eaten raw which, in my limited experience, means that it is chewable if cut small with a knife

She was not tenderising meat but smashing up seal blubber to release the oil. Seal blubber is so rich in oil that hitting it flat (like you say 'tenderising') allows the oil to be released from the fat so it can be used for lamps.

3. Women seem to leave an igloo feet first. Is that a cultural thing? Respect for those remaining within?

No idea!

Regards,

Gweedo

BOD

I've just come across your original post and thought I'd try and provide you with some answers:

The lamps are made from soapstone - a sort of shallow dish shape is made in the stone. On one edge, a roll of dry moss is laid (sort of like a cigarette without the wrapper) - this forms the wick with the seal oil being drawn up by capillary action. Occasionally, he 'wick' needs to be readjusted. A well lit lamp, without smoke and a good long wick is a mark of a good wife in Inuit culture.

She was not tenderising meat but smashing up seal blubber to release the oil. Seal blubber is so rich in oil that hitting it flat (like you say 'tenderising') allows the oil to be released from the fat so it can be used for lamps.

No idea!

Regards,

Gweedo

Thanks,

I see it is your first post. Welcome to BCUK. Hope you enjoy it it here.

If rep was still available I would say you are on a distinguised road as a bushcrafter.

Thanks again for that insight.

Please do post more

Ash

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
It's available to rent on lovefilm.com too. I've just added it, I hadn't heard of it before but it sounds great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE