AT LAST ! My New Anvil !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Finally got one last Thursday. Andy (Everything Mac) said if I didn't post pictures it never happened ! So here they are Andy.

Made by Isaac Nash & Sons of Stourbridge. From what I can find out it was made between 1888 and 1912.

It weighs 243 lbs or 110Kg. Not in pristine condition as you would expect for it's age but will do me for now to get started.

001.jpg002.jpg

Cleaned it up with a steel cup brush on an angle grinder then oiled it.
I have mounted it on a pine block that has been saturated with almost 5 litres of Cuprinol to try & preserve it. I have hammered in 4 stainless steel spikes to keep it in place.

DSCN3022.jpg005.jpgDSCN3041.jpgDSCN3042.jpgDSCN3043.jpg

Due to the weather & other commitments I have only had a play with it yesterday and modified some Tin snips in to tongs. I intend to make some more tools to use with it first to get some practice in then knife blades but my ultimate goal is to forge an axe (but I realise that is a long way off).

DSCN3044.jpgDSCN3045.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Eifion

Last edited:

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
That looks very nice! You've done a good job on cleaning it all up too :)

May I enquire where you set about looking for an anvil?

Cheers

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
As with everything I look for I start on ebay. There are many on there in various states, but most of them too far for me, the one I got was 42 miles away. I paid £150 for it and am very happy with that.
I did come across somewhere in Essex or Sussex that had a few of them, but I have just searched again and cant find it. If I do I will post a link.

That looks very nice! You've done a good job on cleaning it all up too :)

May I enquire where you set about looking for an anvil?

Cheers

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Took two of us to lift it in to place, I could turn it over & drag it around on the board to clean it, and could just about lift it off the ground but couldn't move it anywhere on my own without potential injury.

That looks like a beast. I bet you knew you lifted that into place too. Nice restoration mate.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Looks like a coachsmiths' anvil...

anvilrecce1.jpg

Last edited:

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
The word that sprung to me on opening this thread was envy

It's nice to come to a place where other folks don't think it's weird for me to covet an anvil...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE