Article: Glow-in-the-dark mushroom rediscovered after 170 years

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Wow!

oh and "As is often the case, scientists had just never bothered to ask." Brilliant!!

TreeCamper

Sep 8, 2012
Cornwall UK
www.youtube.com
I was out for a Hammock hang and camp in Cornwall UK this past Monday. After having a small fire then letting it die out I went for a kip. I awoke later on and looked down from my hammock and saw a very bright area and it made me jump as I thought my fire had spread. After wiping my eyes and looking carefully I could see it was a Luminous patch almost as big as a dinner plate. I immediately thought it may be some kind of slugs or bugs grouped together. I spent ages watching it on and off throught the night waiting for it to stop. At dawn I looked where the glowing was coming from. I had snapped a large piece of deadwood underneath my hammock so I would not stand on it if I got up during the night. The glow was coming from inside both parts of the broken tree branch, could not see any glow in daylight but could see a white film of some kind of fungus.. Dont know what it was but I will never forget it.

Nov 8, 2010
wales
Had the same experience as TreeCamper, Wild camping on the Gower had several rotten Birch branches glowing around the campsite - eerie experience

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE