Article: Frontier Stove ( Pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I've been using one of these for a few years now and I love it. Thanks for the tip regarding the underslung grill thing - i'm going to have to mod mine before my next trip out.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Very happy with mine.
My tip would be not to leave the little ember pan inside the stove when you light it.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Do you guys have any trouble with the flue leaking tar?

Only when using less than idea wood. Recently was very cold and had the burner on 11 using only pine. Got some dripping on the tent but to be expected.
Would be a different story with some nice ash or oak.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Do you guys have any trouble with the flue leaking tar?

Yes, my mate had a witches hat made for the flue which stops all the backdraft problems. But I hadn't cleaned the chimney and we'd been burning a fair bit of pine. Tar built up on the hat and dripped onto the side of my Tipi. My fault, I know you've to clean the flue every 3-4 days when burning softwoods.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I see, how exactly do you go about cleaning the tar off though?

I have been looking at these for ages but never actually taken the plunge!!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
From the witches hat you could just pop it in the fire and burn off. If you want to get it out of flue sections you could boil them in water - the tar will run out. You could use white spirit to clean it. Or sitting outside take turns with each section putting it where the damper section usually sits, just burn it out with a hot fire. If you melt it out with hot water you could save it and use it for various bushy projects.

If you're asking about off of the tent, well this is the first time it's happened and have had the stove for ages. And it was my negligence that caused it, white spirit or petrol will take it out of the fabric if I really want to shift it.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Yep same here I have found that if I don't clean the flu out there will be a bit of tar leak and like dwardo and Goatboy mentioned its more likely when burning a lot of pine.

Atb

Craig

May 6, 2010
uk
www.coastalsurvival.com
I have been using one of these stoves since last December (in-between the camper van) I have had this in a self made (bender) tent, tarps around a hazel structure etc. happy with it both to cook on and have as a heat source. Nice and light to carry over a good distance up into the woods etc. well recommended for off grid living. The only thing you need if you use it every day and night etc. is a brush for scrubbing out the flue pipes, as being a smallish bore, they soot up quick, every 7/10 days is good. I have the legs folded in and sit it straight onto of a few patio slabs, bit unstable, need a few chocks, but saves space and height. All round good little bit of kit.

Fraser

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Yeah I love mine,

I have never used it for inside a tent myself. I did pop into kiltedpics lavvu when he had his going and boy was it toasty in there.

Atb

Craig

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
I christened mine this weekend at the bushcraft show and also managed to get an extra flu section and spark arrester so its now well out the way when using it in my Lavvu.. I love it!!! Did a log off cooking on it.. even made pizzas :) and it also took the chill out the 4 nights.

I did notice that the top of the stove has formed almost a wavy feel around certain areas.. Has anyone elts seen/felt the same?

I christened mine at the Bushcraft Show Elvaston Castle great bit of kit, but when I woke up in the morning it was gone, yes gone some b!!!**! had nicked it. along with a fellow campers fire box. Anyway I bought another and christened that one at a camping weekend with the Landrover Club , used it for all my cooking brilliant, just need to fit the sleeve to my bell tent ready for the autumn nights. will have to attach some fishing line and a bell in my tent in future.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE