Article: Coracle and paddle build (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 6, 2014
West Midlands UK
Love the personalised hand crafted paddle. What have you used to burn the design, please?

PS Love the coracle too and enjoyed looking at the step by step process photos. Thank you.

Jul 23, 2014
Halesowen
That is fantastic, what a skill, I hear its quite a skill to paddle them on open water as well, good luck, would love to see a video of the launch.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, thank all for the kind comments. I see folks wanted to see her on the water, well yesterday i finally got her on the water, and took her for a spin. I recorded a video for my YouTube channel and i thought you may like a look.

[video=youtube;DTgDOsMnjVE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTgDOsMnjVE&feature=yo utu.be[/video]

Cheers Stuart.

Brynglas

Great project Stuart, the guys who fish with Coracles on the Town and Teifi rivers in West Wales use the paddle with one arm, tucked into the armpit, leaving the other arm free for net casting. Difficult craft to paddle and balance but great for fishing. (Only used under strict licence usually passed from father to son on the Towy and Teifi rivers.)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
(Only used under strict licence usually passed from father to son on the Towy and Teifi rivers.)
Several people, myself included, fish from a coracle. Handline or rod though for me rather than a net.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
What a beautiful oar! That is truly a wonderful piece of art.

This article embodies why I joined the forum.

I can't match your skills, but I feel an attempt at a coracle welling up for October break if I can find or scrounge the materials.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE