Article: BCB: Fire Dragon Solid Fuel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 15, 2009
Epsom
I used it the weekend just gone I didn't like took too long to boil and went trough to many blocks just for a cup of tea. Over all wont be getting them again

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
The blocks look quite large, though the picture might be deceptive. Any idea on measurements (approx') ?

Thks, Paul

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I can't fathom how a product can come to market with no one checking to see if one block could bring a cup of water to boil. The problem does not seem to be with the fuel itself but the size of the block. Who came up with 27g as the optimum size when clearly 35g or something like that would have been the optimum size?

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I think the issue is it melts and spreads which dissipates the heat. If it was contained in a small rectangle i suspect the heat would be more useful. My understanding is its an ethanol based fuel so the calorific value is there, it just needs to be focused

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
For the Mk 2 crusader mug and stove BCB has this on its website

http://www.bcbin.com/products/product_details.php?category=bushcraft&product=Cooking

The cup for the fuel to go in looks similar to the one in the version used in this test. They refer to a heat exchanger built into the new stove.

The new mugs also anodised aluminium so that may have a positive influence.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
BCB did their tests with the new Crusader - which seems a little more efficient than the old one so one block may get a brew with that.
I don't know that fuel Greg.
I got the fuel from BCB themselves.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
nice review there but 60p a brew seems a bit steep? i moved away from hexy for that reason too, i use pine blocks in mine i got bags of 72 for £3 but they are sooty...

Andy W

Forager
Nov 22, 2010
Perthshire Scotland

I have just got a bottle of the gel which I have not tried yet. I got it for free as I have got a box of the blocks on preorder and the release dates keep on getting put back. According to the supplyer the blocks will not be ready until mid March. I am not sure if its a production issue or if they have re-designed the product.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE