Article: Axe making with Dave Budd in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
It was a cracking weekend and I'm glad you enjoyed yourself Dewi :)

Turning an inch square lump of steel and a billet of ash into something that looks and works as an axe should is no easy thing, but everybody succeeded.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
The pleasure of creating it far outweighs the hard work put into the axe, but the amazing thing is how we all started with the same materials but came out with such a variety of axes.

Really was great fun and something I hope to do again. I've made a splitter, next a carver :)

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I've been meaning to attend a weekend with Sir Budd for a few years now but have always had problems with shoehorning a spare weekend in with his dates! I should make the effort, book and crack on with it really. It would be amazing for a few forum members to do one together for the Craic

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I hate to say I told you so BUT..................

:dancer:
Glad you enjoyed yourself in the wood.Looks like a fine axe too.Something to brag about for literally YEARS!
Cheers, Simon

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I hate to say I told you so BUT..................

:dancer:
Glad you enjoyed yourself in the wood.Looks like a fine axe too.Something to brag about for literally YEARS!
Cheers, Simon

No bragging rights for me... I view my axe as the beginning... it's a splitter, and I used it today for exactly that.

Tell you what though, you were right... its a course not to miss. Experience there will be remembered for a lifetime :) It was brilliant.

Jun 22, 2015
Hampshire
Course attendee 2 of 5 checking in!! owner of the 4th axe down in the great little team pic. I also camped over (a little less adventurously) in my spacious 2 man tent. such a fantastic weekend camping, not at all diminished by the need to pack a soaking tent away at the end of the weekend :umbrella:
this was my second weekend smithing with Mr Budd and provided just as much challenge as the first. I think Dewi has vastly underestimated A. the amount of alcohol that we may have gotten through over the weekend and B. the amount of spare food he brought! Don't worry folks there was nothing to do with horses (sheep maybe...)

very good summery of the weekend!

anyone who is the slightest bit interested should definitely go along for a course, i am so glad i just went for it and i now have 2 great pieces of hardware to show for it.
Picture included.
Ts4bBBV.jpg

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...it always makes me chuckle when....

1...people seem almost surprised at how good and what fun doing a course with dave is and....
2...people um and ah about doing a course with dave in the first place

some clarification needed maybe....

1...its dave budd....Sir Dave Budd!
2...in the woods!
3...in devon!
4...at an amazing forge!

of course its going to be brilliant. of course youre going to get wikid results. you couldnt get a more knowlegeable, skilled, laid back and fun tutor anywhere and in an environment most of us would kill for.

as chris the cat has just said...''the best maker of hand forged knives and hand tools out there!!''

end of....JUST....SAY...YES!

ps....liking that knife there will!

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
What da S man said!! ( that's Angst for those who don't know him personally, and if you don't, get on it!! )

Best.

Cat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE