Arran

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I'm heading over to the Isle of Arran tomorrow, but fancy a change from the usual spot.

I'd prefer deciduous woodland suitable for a ground dweller, any suggestions guys.

:You_Rock_

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Benlister is quite nice - but then I'm biased(that's my old house at the right of the map). There's a chert outcrop in the burn(roundabout the blue "l"), an impressive array of moraines(the anthills), surprisingly large falls for such a wee burn and the walk over Cnoc Breac and down into Glen Ormidale would make a good wander back to the ferry.

The Monamore has areas of mixed wood all the way up it. Some are a fair size, others are just patches where it was more hassle than it was worth for the FC to clear back in the day. Brown trout if you're that way inclined. The couple of times I've seen wildcats were along there.

Is the tinker camp still at merkland point(between brodick and corrie)? That's about the nicest decent sized broadleaf wood on the island. If the camp's still there though I'd give it a miss.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Last I heard it was still there but there has been some grunts from the locals so possible change since I was last over. Keep your eyes peeled on the way over some Orcas have been seen recently from the ferry, pod of 3 or 4 by all accounts about mid channel seems to be the area for them.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Cheers for that much appreciated

(that's my old house at the right of the map).
That must have been a really nice place to live
There's a chert outcrop in the burn(roundabout the blue "l"), an impressive array of moraines(the anthills), surprisingly large falls for such a wee burn and the walk over Cnoc Breac and down into Glen Ormidale would make a good wander back to the ferry.

If I end up there I'll check them out

Brown trout if you're that way inclined

Normally yes but this time its purely a dog walking kit testing exercise

Is the tinker camp still at merkland point(between brodick and corrie)? That's about the nicest decent sized broadleaf wood on the island. If the camp's still there though I'd give it a miss.

I didn't see it last time I was over but then again I wasn't looking so I really couldn't say.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
:eek: Well things didn't go quite according to plan, got everything packed and set the alarm on my mobile, then for some reason switched it off.

Any way I overslept missed the ferry that I needed to catch to catch the ferry to Arran so instead, I took the car and went up to arrocher and the cobbler.
2912866944_89c53722ba.jpg
2912020867_09d538b526.jpg

2912019869_08869afa03.jpg
2912869508_b5679f101c.jpg

Then I went round to near rowerdenan to camp for the night, my god that side of the loch has been totaly trashed it looks like a bunch of drunk loggers have been trying to clear fell the place round the car parks.

The car park also filled started filling up with campervans so me and the dog decided to move on and find somewhere a bit quieter.

Today came home. Next time we'll make it to arran hopefully.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Yeah, the area round rowardennan forest has been taking a beating for a long time but it's really starting to show it these days.

Cracking pictures from the cobbler. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE