Army/RAF pullovers in black or grey?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Hi there,

Does anyone know where you can get the army pullovers in any colour other than OG or blue?

This sort of thing:

1120048763_462.jpg

These are tough hardwearing and warm, but the colours are a bit off-putting.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
The RAF version is blue grey, quite subdued, the Navy one is in Navy Blue (funny old thing) or black. Over the last ten years or so, they have flitted from round neck, heavy gauge knit to v-neck smooth gauge knit and back again with every concievable mix in between.

If you want a black one you may have to get a police one, and therein lies a whole new kettle of fish.

If you want to be a little different, try the Australian version. Very similar to the British version, slightly lighter shade of green but, and this is the best bit, the shoulder patches, elbow patches and eppaulettes are Auscam! Just like the camoflage pattern on Ray Mears' bivvy tarp!

Whatever you do, dont try to dye a british one, they are a wool/viscose mix which means you may dye some of it but other parts will not take the dye and you will end up disappointed! :(

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi,
The only thing with the black one is that it is 100% acrylic not wool like the other one, not sure if that makes any difference to you.
lou

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
lou1661 said:
Hi,
The only thing with the black one is that it is 100% acrylic not wool like the other one, not sure if that nakes any difference to you.
lou

Oh yeah. Hadn't noticed that. It does make a difference. Better carry on the search...

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi,
Im sure you could dye one a darker colour i think there is something that you can dye wool with on the Dylon website, but given my last attempt at dying i sugest that you wait for someone with more skill in that area for a proper answer on that one!!
cheers lou

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Are those pullovers still current issue kit? Over here, the CF doesn't issue them anymore. The replacement is a crappy green fleece that looks liable to fall apart in a week. Pity....

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Addyb
For the RAF (and I believe the RN) their still current issue, though only worn on station. During operations everyone wears 'Combat Solidier 95' with appropriate markings and flashes. I think the Army have a different policy for different regiments, not 100% thought.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Well I give up.

The grey one's fine (and I may order one) but I cannot find a black 100% crew neck (as opposed to V neck) pullover.

The police, ambulance and army ones I've seen all seem to be V neck, and/or acrylic blend.

If anyone knows otherwise please let me know, otherwise I'm conceding defeat.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Garnett said:
Well I give up.

The grey one's fine (and I may order one) but I cannot find a black 100% crew neck (as opposed to V neck) pullover.

The police, ambulance and army ones I've seen all seem to be V neck, and/or acrylic blend.

If anyone knows otherwise please let me know, otherwise I'm conceding defeat.

Well, I'm on ops at the moment but PM me in about 3 weeks to remind me and I'll send you one for nothing. What size are you? I'm about 5'10", medium build.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE