army hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 21, 2010
glasgow
yip had to sleep on one lots in Thailand and mayamar weeks on end and also in Amazon ,but they were tribal ones very very strong good with good ties get a silk one with piece that folds over . in fact I lost mine you selling one

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They're good for hanging some gear in either under or over another hammock, even using it to put some insulation in.

You wouldn't want to sleep in one for long though
pinhead.jpg

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
i got a mate who swears by his, he uses it to get some doss time in the back of transport planes in the army, i suppose as a soldier you have to learn to sleep anywhere lol

I had one and used it for the same purpose for a long haul flight in a herc, it lasted a few flights and was ok, but I lent it to a mate and he managed to break it on his first use of it. They are alright for light use and I think its ok for kit but I would not use it for an everyday use as I don't think its that robust.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
I have not used one, but for under a tenner, I would just give it a go. If you don’t like it you could just use it to store kit as suggested.:D

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I had one and used it for the same purpose for a long haul flight in a herc, it lasted a few flights and was ok, but I lent it to a mate and he managed to break it on his first use of it. They are alright for light use and I think its ok for kit but I would not use it for an everyday use as I don't think its that robust.

nah true, but he got kip when others were puking or unable to sleep. he used to keep it in his pocket,

i suppose it would be ok if you were just going to use it to have a seat on a nice day when out for a walk etc, i certainly wouldnt want to try sleep in it overnight

strideredc

Dec 19, 2009
west sussex
i tried to stretch my mates one out like i used to do in se asia and ripped it apart with my bare hands without trying to hard!

for £20 odd quid you can get something decent as opposed to £10 for something crap

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I used to have a string hammock not identical but the same idea, was fine for resting in Spain on a hot day, but they are limited in space, length, and have no form of protection from the elements, you'd have to use a Bivi bag (or similar) for use in the UK.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
I've got one and have used it to sleep in, without a bivvy bag. It was OK but can be tricky to get into as you have to hold it open as you do it and then the sides tend to wrap around you. My Moquito Jungle Hammock is way more comfortable but bigger and heavier - the mesh hammock is also much quicker to sling and about fist-sized once packed up. Have also used it to make a dry and comfy seat during days out.

They are popular for slinging from the beams in the back of a C130, if you can't find a Land Rover to crawl into, but I don't travel that way much anymore!

You can have mine for a fiver if you want to try it out!!!:D

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Been wondering about string hammocks.

Could you not make your own?

Out of something like paracord.

Some of the US ultralight people use a string double hammock, that is what got me thinking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE