Army camo jackets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
This question has probably been asked a million times before on BCUK, but I'm looking for a reasonably priced camoflage jacket for general use, I've looked on loads of army surplus sites, but am starting to go a bit snowblind on all the options. Can anyone recommend any good sites or places to try? :eek:

pinty

Mar 24, 2006
London
Check out www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk they are the cheapest I've found on the net. They claim to be "grade2" but the smock I bought from them was in pretty good shape, apart from a neatly made repair and a slightly torn sleeve***.

The 94 pattern Temperate smock, and the "sas" smock are both decent, in my opinion.

*** Edit: the tear is really VERY small, almost unnoticable. The kit I bought from there is well good, and I would def recommend them :)

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I agree with Pinty in that I have always been impressed by British military surplus on eBay as they do individual items and what they call suits. I've never bought from them as I've often thought their postage was a bit much on eBay.

Personally I like some of the older kit, I left the TA about 6 years ago and we were just getting the 95 stuff filter through I wasn't impressed at the time, still preferred my old gear in particular the olive lightweights. Shame I'm a fatty now and my old 'lost' kit doesn't fit anymore. :aargh4:

Pib

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Thanks Ludlowsurvivors, Pinty and Pibbleb, some useful sites there, and the Ludlowsurvivors site has some very useful links and articles.
I've bought a camo jacket and trousers from Ebay before now, and although it was a bargain (about £12 inc post) it's not really suitable for a lot of comfortable use, I'd bought one of the outfits with charcoal liners, which aren't the best, but okay for the cash.
That's why I'm now looking to buy a better, longer lasting jacket, I had an army issue one a few months back which I'd had a few years, very comfortable, but the zip gave up, along with a few other bits falling off or coming loose, so it ended up going to the dump.

I'll have a good look around the sites, and let you know how I get on.

nzgunnie

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2005
New Zealand
The Charcoal lined ones are NBC suits, and are not very suitable.

I'd suggest either an SAS smock or an original 68 pattenr one if you can track it down. The 68 pattern was fully lined.

If you can get one, the New Zealand current issue smock is one of the best around.

Jackdaw

Soldier 95 DPM smock is the best jacket I was ever issued in the army. It has a ripstop design and two large zipped belows pockets on the chest for all your possibles.

It also has a water repellent quality built in so that in light rain you don't need to reach for your goretex. Pretty bomb-proof, though having never been blown up, wouldn't swear to it.

NBC suits are a definate no-no as unless they are still in their vacuum packed state you don't know where they have been!

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
One tip look at your local markets street or one day a week ones. Some buy army surplus and sell more as a fashion thing rather than surplus or as cheap workwear. There is a stall on a weekly sunday market near me in the last few years had some great bargins from him, a temperate '94 jacket brand new never issued £15, OG poncho new and unissued £12.95, Swedish snow smock new £7.95, Gortex OG mittens £7.95 and mess tins £3.50 issued £5 new.
Dave.

leon-1

queeg9000 said:
This question has probably been asked a million times before on BCUK, but I'm looking for a reasonably priced camoflage jacket for general use, I've looked on loads of army surplus sites, but am starting to go a bit snowblind on all the options. Can anyone recommend any good sites or places to try? :eek:

Does it have to be cammo???

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
I have got one of these excelent bit of kit get the liner as well and a pounch and you are coverd for every thing.

German army parka (field jacket) in flecktarn. Ideally suited to go over the basic shirt/trousers uniform as an extra layer for night time, spring, autumn and winter. Made of heavyweight poly-cotton material, similar to the material of the trousers. Features a longer skirt, drawstring waist and hem, integral hood with drawstring. Also has two chest pockets (button down), rank tabs, arm pocket and two zip-up slash pockets on waist. Discreet left and right underarm openings can also be zipped open or closed depending on weather. Opens centrally with zip and button. Can be worn on its own, over a uniform or with a parka liner.
flcpk1ua500a.jpg
Full view of the flecktarn parka from the front.
flcpk1ua500b.jpg
Detail of arm pocket. Note the German flags at the top of the shoulder.
flcpk1ua500c.jpg
Detail of zip up slash pockets at waist.
flcpk1ua500d.jpg
Detail of rank tab, side of hood, showing drawstring and partial view of button and zip central opening. Also shown is the velcro name tape patch.
flcpk1ua500e.jpg
View of chest area of parka, showing the two expandable pockets and the central button and zip opening.
flcpk1ua500f.jpg
Detail of hood, showing interior and taped seams. Also shown is the drawstring.
flcpk1ua500g.jpg
Detail of underarm opening, zipped open.
flcpk1ua500h.jpg

Rocket

Mar 30, 2006
Isle of Wight
Good to see someone else with some FLecky!
I have the full kit, and Goretex Flecktarn for wet weather. The jacket is good in all weathers, very breathable but also warm in winter.

Stu

Rocket

Mar 30, 2006
Isle of Wight
leon-1 said:
mal you could try here as they seem to be not too bad for that kind of thing and I think the name flecktarn.co.uk gives away what they sell:D

Yep, The guys at Flecktarn.co.uk are a good bunch, but the delivery costs can be a little high. There are a few sellers on evilbay who do a very good deal too - I got a set of goretex flecks for a friend at £10 less than flecktarn.co.uk (And they were issued, but unused!).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE